Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Propane Tank for BBQ Irregular

I have a 20 lb BBQ propane tank, and lately it has been delivering irregular pressure. When I gentely shake the tank vertically, the pressure increases to normal, then immediately reduces to a meager flow.

It feels and sounds like there is liquid in the tank.

Other than simply refilling, is there anything I should consider doing with the tank to improve gas delivery?

Much Thanks

Peter

WayPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #2

Did you check the barbeque for blockages? The gas has to go along a route. Sometimes there are things like spiders in the way. They like the nooks and cranies to make nests in.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I found this online..................

Propane produces less vapor when cold. The issue is the propane simply gets too cold. I doubt a bigger regulator woud help. It's just what it is

25F isn't that cold for propane. But if you are experiencing temps down in the teens, it could be your problem. Bigger tanks seem to help and full tanks also seem to help.

I first learned of this problem when I was a Boy Scout. Our propane stoves with 1lb bottles barely worked in the fall when it was 25 to 30 degrees. We switched to white gas stoves and later to 10lb bulk propane tanks for propane stoves. The 10lb tanks were big enough to
operate properly at 25 to 30 degrees.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Other than simply refilling, is there anything I should consider doing with the tank to improve gas delivery?
Ayuh,... Trade the tank,.. Don't refill it...

If it is the tank that's the Problem....
It won't be Your Problem....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #5

My grill kept doing that. I'd have a dozen people over for a cookout and it would happen. Turned out, the end (the black screw in device) that connects to the LP tank was getting gummed up. I must have had a contaminated tank of LP as I went through two more connectors before the tank ran out. Hasn't happened since.

I cleaned the first one out with carb cleaner a couple of times before replacing it. One of the big hardware stores carried them a few years ago when this happend. I was able to find just the black screw with brass fitting but they also carry it with the hose and regulator.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, propane, tank