Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Handy

Rewards Points: 75

Projects that never really got off the ground

There's a topic on showing us pictures of your current project, but how about a topic on projects that never really got off the ground at all.

Have you ever started a project and then abandoned it? My sister decided she would save money by making her own wedding dress, and then two days before the wedding, when she realized she was nowhere near close to being finished, she had to go out and buy a dress. Not her proudest moment.

There are some projects that are just too daunting for me to even start. Mostly automotive, where I sometimes can't even figure out how to get the clips undone to get under the cover. Those darned plastic clips, I'm always breaking them. What project would you like to do but even with (or despite) your research, you just can't get the nerve to start?

They say you learn by making mistakes. And I usually figure that even my best attempt, mistakes and all, could be better than a "professional" who has his young assistant do most of the work, after a night of binge drinking. I've been proud of the repairs that I made to the old washing machine, even though it took me many hours to diagnose and repair. But in trying to figure out why and where my car's integrated antenna got loose, all I'm left with are parts of the interior trim that won't snap back into place.

What have you learned lately?

Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here's a prototype for a locking mechanism for one of my magic boxes that was a flop. (pieces missing in case I ever get around to fixing the problem)
It simply was too easy to open..... walnut, oak and ebony.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Projects that never really got off the ground-failed-lock.jpg  

Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

I was going to top the trees out back
But I never really got off the ground

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Insulating my rim joists. Wanted to do it like last year and just never got around to it, or the money for it. Need to borrow a truck as I can't really fit all those foam sheets in my car. I did notice they sell them in 2x8 though, so I may be able to fit a couple of those. Not like I need that much for just the rim joists.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Insulating my rim joists. Wanted to do it like last year and just never got around to it, or the money for it. Need to borrow a truck as I can't really fit all those foam sheets in my car. I did notice they sell them in 2x8 though, so I may be able to fit a couple of those. Not like I need that much for just the rim joists.
I was also going to use rigid on my rim joists
I used R19 as a temp measure
The $$ I saved has more then paid for the cost of the insulation
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Yeah bet it will make a huge difference. Some of them are insulated with some thin faced "rock wool" stuff. It's not even below freezing outside yet and I find my temp drops pretty fast. It seems to hover a bit above 15C which is what I set my furnace at. If it's already dropping now then winter it will drop faster! I was ok last winter, but when we were getting -40's the furnace was pretty much running all the time.

This is an older house too so the insulation in the walls may not be super good either.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote