Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Professionals, opinions on Angie's List?

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, but what is your professional opinion of Angie's List? I've used it a few times and now two relatives are about to have their houses on the market so they are also using it for last-minute fixes. We've mostly had good luck but one instance wasn't so great. I see the appeal for consumers but I was wondering about the other side of that coin, the professionals.

BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #2

To me the intent is good. Let others know about good or bad contractors.
The execution is flawed. I think all of us have had customers we would give a bad review to. Customers that are very demanding, not willing to pay, a pain to work for, that we would give a bad review to, and from what I hear these are the same ones who would give a bad review to your contractor.

IMHO

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
aht.phd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Take the reviews with a grain of salt----some people could not be pleased if you served them dinner on solid gold plates--and told them they could keep the plates.

There are others that will be thrilled with mediocre work--

Belonging to Angies list costs the contractor serious money---so many really good contractors don't belong because the cost is not needed,

Making sales calls costs a contractor a lot----so chasing a lot of unqualified leads through Angies list will not appeal to a busy contractor---
ltd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #4

There are two occasions where I have seen the professional respond to bad reviews. One responded with rudeness and totally inappropriate comments so I ruled him out. Another however, responded very professionally an politely explained his side of the story. I liked the way he handled it and put him on my "favorites" list because of it.
I have posted three times now and I will say the first time was due to horrible, awful services from a realtor. I tried to explain everything thoroughly and why I was giving such a scathing review but I still feel kind of weird about it. :-/
The Following User Says Thank You to BabsHoney For This Useful Post:
aht.phd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
Take the reviews with a grain of salt----some people could not be pleased if you served them dinner on solid gold plates--and told them they could keep the plates.

Belonging to Angies list costs the contractor serious money---so many really good contractors don't belong because the cost is not needed,

Making sales calls costs a contractor a lot----so chasing a lot of unqualified leads through Angies list will not appeal to a busy contractor---
I posted one review of a person that was not previously listed, so how could they have required payment? It's my understanding the person only pays if they want to list their "deals."
aht.phd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Not so new

I'm with mike. The quality of my work is advertising enough. I dont have the time to be running all over town competing against 4 or 5 other guys. Working mostly with referrals, I have a pretty good idea who I'm dealing with when I get to the appointment.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 12penny For This Useful Post:
dogris (07-30-2012), kwikfishron (07-30-2012), ltd (07-30-2012), oh'mike (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsHoney View Post
I posted one review of a person that was not previously listed, so how could they have required payment? It's my understanding the person only pays if they want to list their "deals."

Educate yourself---go to Angies list and try to register as a contractor--

Most contractors pay over $600 a year per territory ,I have been told over at Contractor talk--

Big investment in advertising---they pay for ranking---placement in the listings-----

These are what I have read from contractors that use the service---not from personal experiences.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 192

I tried working for one of the highly rated contractors on there.
I show up the first day and he has almost no tools on the job, no materials, and sent a so called forman that had no clue what needed to be done or how to do it. Every day for a week he wanted to walk around for 2 hours doing nothing but talk about what needed to be done.
The job was exactly 1, mile from a local lumber yard but refused to buy from them and had materails delivered from 1-1/2 hours away.
We had to pore 8, footings for a building and he ordered 1, bag of concrete.
We had to build out all the window and door frames so they could be wrapped with coil stock and he sends me primed finger jointed inside trim, which is double the cost of what we really needed.
At the end of the week he hands me my check and it's short by $7.00 an hour on what he said he was going to pay me.
This was a major job that was going to invole lifting a whole house and addition, replacing main beams, demo of old falling down additions, fencing, siding, plumbing and wiring. He never got a building permit for any of it, and expected to do it all with just two people.
If that's the kind of contractor that's there highest rated they can keep him.

Last edited by joecaption; 07-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I stayed busy with referrals and had a good idea who was doing good work around me. If I couldn't help someone referred to me because I was booked I was careful to respect the referral network and pass them on to someone good. I see no need for Angie's List and the lack of real moderation scares me. Clearly it needs ad revenue to survive and I guess some contractors are willing to spend the bucks. My restoration projects were not the kind those contractors would be able to handle anyhow.

When I have moved to new areas and have needed sub-contractors I asked around, checked references by actually talking to contractors that had used people and even took a look at work done. Homeowners should do the same thing and not rely on internet lists for making such important decisions as to who to let in their homes or to do work on them. And if you are doing major renovations, you should see if you can get along because you will be together for awhile. You cannot determine that compatibility without meeting somebody face to face.

A good friend of mine is my age and a great, grandmother-like nanny. Great with kids and heeped with every credential and license you could imagine. A disgruntled tenant she had to evict conducted an Angie's List and Craig's List campaign against her as a nanny and it took her forever to get the posts pulled. The tenant had no children and absolutely no reason to be posting about her in that capacity. She was distraught and quite angry with Angie's List.

Last edited by user1007; 07-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
aht.phd (07-30-2012), shadytrake (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

I'm a new member of Angie's list. I figured I would try it for one year to see if I found any benefit from it. The subscription for the basic is about $25. I really wanted to look up a few plumber possibilities for smaller jobs since my hubby admits that plumbing is not his strong point.

After reading all of the reviews for the top 10 (it was a lot of reading), I found that most of them were for emergency jobs. Some were large-scale jobs and very few were for small-scale (i.e. sink, dishwasher, stove hookup w/gas - basically a one-day job). I found it valuable for informational purposes but it didn't really help me choose a plumber.

I'm still going to ask around for referrals. Word-of-mouth referrals are usually the best in my humble opinion.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 132

One of the problems with a site like that is that if the work perfomed was good....the HO is not upset....non issue....and very unlikely to post anything.

It's the jobs that go bad that get posted.....people are venting.....doesn't matter if they are right or wrong....they feel wronged....and someone is going to hear about it.

Word of mouth.....really the best way.

And if you don't have a good reference...go do to the respective supply house.

Roofing? Go ask the guys behind the counter who is staying busy....

Concrete? Go to the concrete house and ask them for references.

Framing? Well, I wouldn't look for a guy at HD....go to a real lunmber yard.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

Well, like I said I can see the appeal for consumers but I do agree there is no replacement for word of mouth. I was just interested in hearing other people's thoughts as well.
My subscription is free (apparently I live in a "grassroots" area according to the site) and I'll probably use it for when I don't know anyone who has used those services. But of course I know it's no replacement for good references and solid previous work.
aht.phd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

You got it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
One of the problems with a site like that is that if the work perfomed was good....the HO is not upset....non issue....and very unlikely to post anything.

It's the jobs that go bad that get posted.....people are venting.....doesn't matter if they are right or wrong....they feel wronged....and someone is going to hear about it.

Word of mouth.....really the best way.

And if you don't have a good reference...go do to the respective supply house.

Roofing? Go ask the guys behind the counter who is staying busy....

Concrete? Go to the concrete house and ask them for references.

Framing? Well, I wouldn't look for a guy at HD....go to a real lunmber yard.

Painters?, ask at a real paint store
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Duckweather (07-30-2012), ltd (07-30-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #15

not a pro, but the site sucks. I cancelled the same day. You can do better by word of mouth.

MEE123 is offline   Reply With Quote