Problems With My Newly Paved Driveway... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

problems with my newly paved driveway...

I have a shred driveway with my neighbour. Last spring we decided to repave it. He hired a contractor, and we agreed to do the job. During construction, I noticed that the contractor is pitching the base towards my house. I told him that storm water shall drain towards the street, as before, therefore the old driveway elevations shall be matched. He told me not to worry, the storm water will drain diagobally, without hitting my house. After the job was done, I found out that that was not the case. Since he built a new paved terrase, in the back yard for my neighbour, the storm water comes down a few steps and then flow directly into my house, making a pool in front of my back entrance, and oly then flows, along my curb, in a stream like fashion, toward the street. I asked him to come to see what's hapening, but he did not do anything yet. I would appreciate an advice on this matter. Is it anything that I can do?
Thanks!
serbana

Advertisement

serbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

I would start with the building department for your local jurisdiction (town/city/county). If this is something they do not handle they can point you in the right direction. it may be your planning and zoning department, varies from place to place.

have your paid your portion?

some jurisdictions have storm water run-off regulations that do not allow someone to run water onto property it did not prior to any construction, and if it did run off onto another's property it cannot flow more water than it did prior to construction. I cannot speak of your jurisdiction.

see what they tell you ........ Good luck!

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

How about putting a border, perhaps a row of brick pavers along the side of the driveway. The border being an inch or so higher than the driveway, so that the water is contained until it runs onto the street. I assume there is still a certain amount of slope towards the street.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,716

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post

have your paid your portion?
this is the key, right here.

your first problem = shared driveway.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

Did you take pictures of the project as it progressed? If so, and if he did it wrong, the pictures should show the issue.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
flows toward the house , new driveway , puddles , wrong pitch