Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Problems with concrete garage floor

My new home is 6 months old and the garage floor has many cracks. My main concern with this is that the cracks are actually raised about 1/4" from each other and it appears that the concrete forms a peak at the point of origin of where the cracks begin. The ground was leveled appropriately for proper draining, etc prior to the concrete being poured so I know that's not the problem. I'm concerned that the concrete itself (or the pouring) was faulty. Especially since the cracks are raised a significant degree. Any suggestions / ideas as to why the concrete is cracking and why those cracks are raised?

Last edited by griffsretreat; 09-21-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarification
griffsretreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like the house is either sinking or the ground under the concrete is lifting.
You should have a warranty with a 6 month old house. Calling the builder would be the first step.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Probably nothing wrong with the concrete. In order to form "peaks" in a slab, the concrete would have to expand, which does not happen. - Concrete shrinks as it cures. For years, people have attempted to create a non-shrink or expanding concrete without real success.

Is your slab raised at the "peak" or has the concrete sunk in the surrounding areas? Both conditions could cause the elevation difference you described.

I suspect there is a soil/sugrade problem. Just leveling the ground is not adequate. You should have compacted soil under the slab.

There is also the possiblity you have expansive soils on your site. What did the soil report say about the underlying soils?
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #4

Thank you, Ron6519 and Concretemasonry for responding.
Regarding the ground:
Ground was virgin soil, graveled and compacted by machine, and prior to the concrete being poured, it was very hard - much like macadam. A moisture barrier put down before concrete was poured. Rebar wasn't used as apparently rebar isn't used in garage floors anymore? Something about the concrete mix now containing elements that replace rebar (I'm no concrete expert, so I don't know about that statement being true or not). There are no grooves, seams or joints in the garage floor - in other words, it's poured as one solid slab . As the owner of a (small) home in FL as well as this new one with the "cracks and peaks" in NC, I can only say that my FL home which is only 3 years old, had a garage floor poured WITH "grooves" between segments of concrete and that floor has not cracked. Both garages (NC and FL) are 3-car garages. Which is why I'm concerned about this floor cracking AND peaking. The floor definitely peaks. There isn't any "sinking" elsewhere and no stress cracks anywhere, including none in the house (so far, anyway).

Interesting note: a new home is being built next door to my home with the "concrete issues". That brand new concrete basement floor in the neighboring home also is already cracking and peaking as well. That home isn't even completed yet! Same builder, same concrete company, same concrete finishers. Same problem. Hmmmm ...

Last edited by griffsretreat; 09-30-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Soil being "hard" means nothing.

As I said - what about the soils report for the home/development?

Your home in Florida had "grooves" or control joints so that the shrinkage cracks would follow the grooves and not be visually objectionable. - That is jusy good construction since it is recognized that concrete does shrink.

Are you sure there are really peaks thrusting above the floor surface, or could there really be cracks with a displacement form one side to the other and not really a raising of the floor?

You mentioned something in the mix that replaced rebar - This could have been fiber mesh, but I have heard of some cosmetic mesh problems, but not associated with expansion. Mesh is suposed to decrease micro-cracking, but does not replace structural rebars.

Before you go after the builder, make sure you have the facts correct even if you have to get an outside opinion from someon looking at the specific problem.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-30-2007 at 08:23 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #6

Thank you for your advice re: an outside opinion. We are contacting a local, reputable professional, not associated with this job, to get his professional opinion.

You raised the question about the possibility of expansive soils and the soil report for our development and our specific lot, which we will provide to that person as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Did they at least put Mesh in?

jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote