Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

problem with wiring...celing fan/switch

I encounterd a problem...i wired up my celing fan incorrectly and now the switch doesn't work...when i hooked up the fan i accidently put the "Light"(blue) wire to the the "White" common wire, the "Light" (Blue) wire was suppose to be connected to the "Hot" (black) wire...Now my delima is the switch doesn't work...i dont think there is power going through the wiring, and i picked up a illuminecent light switch...the switch doesn't light up...the hall way light doesn't work also and i think the halway switch is connected to my celing switch......i replace all the switches and nothing goes on still...

what is my problem and what do i do to fix it?

should i mention the smoke detector went off when i switched the switch to the on position...

Thank you very much....I'm a drywaller not an electritian...so thank you for your ear and your advice...

Jensen Hernandez

anywhofaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

problem with wiring...celing fan/switch

try to find out where your home run is. Retrace your steps. It is very easy to make things worse, which is sounds like you did. Find your home run(where the main circuit is feeding) im assuming you have put back the fan box wiring the way it was before. So basically everything is where it should be and you still have no juice?? did you check the breaker downstairs? maybe you didn't flip it back.

AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote