Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

Problem with new entry lock

Entry lock wouldn't unlock from outside with key. Bought a similar entry lock and had it keyed to work with old lock's keys. Installed it and the interior knob is very stiff to lock. My wife, who isn't muscular but not feeble by any means, can't turn it to lock. I can but it takes a lot of pressure. It unlocks quite easily from inside. Locks and unlocks readily with key from outside. Is there a way to free this up or do I need to take it back to lock shop where I bought it. (That entails most of a day's travel to town and back.)
Lootas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
DIY staff

Obviously you have something wrong---first--did you retire all the old parts?

New latch--and the inside and outside knobs?

Often what you describe is caused by the latch mechanism--not the knobs.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Put in new everything down to every screw, striker plate, etc.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
DIY staff

Check the latch mechanism first---is the adjustable set back in the correct position? (that is the sliding gizmo that allows for different distance from edge of door to center of hole)

Next--look into the hole when the latch is installed--is it centered? with the through the latch hole centered?

Next--put the two knob halves together, outside of the door---
Do the work fine when not installed?

Reassemble the door and try again.

Let us know the brand and style of knob---
Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Thanks oh'Mike. I'll start with the easy parts first. My location is Lummi Island, WA. The lock is a General Lock and the style is Tylo.
I think I'm with you on the adjustable set back except I don't know what the correct position is. It is almost flush with the door edge. Perhaps 1/16 inch further out than the door edge.
I haven't disassembled the lock yet to see if it is centered. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be centered on. I see, however, that the plate that the screws go through is maybe 1/16 closer to the door edge than were the plates that I removed when I took the old lock out. Is that what you are telling me to check? That the latch mechanism needs to be pushed back into the door a bit further? If so, how do I do that? Tap the whole thing a bit further into the hole cut in the door?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
DIY staff

I'm not familiar with that brand---give me a minute to look it up---

You may have purchased a second choice brand----Kwickset and Schlage are the most common and are fairly simple to install --some off brands are not--

Give me a minute---
Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
DIY staff

Looks like a good quality lock----Can you post a picture of the catch and handle parts---something is binding----

Either the set back setting is slightly off or something is not lined up and binding---
Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Here's what it looks like as I installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with new entry lock-100_2748.jpg   Problem with new entry lock-100_2749.jpg   Problem with new entry lock-100_2750.jpg   Problem with new entry lock-100_2751.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Take the knob off on both sides....leave the latch in place and take your same picture #1 looking straight through the hole.

That's what he meant by centered (I think anyway, Mike correct me if I'm wrong). The hole in the latch where the spindle goes through should be in the center of the larger hole on the face of the door. If it's not, it puts the spindle in a bind.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Here is the first shot with the knobs removed. BTW, the twist knob is just as stiff when not in the door. Trip to town for another new lock?

Last edited by Lootas1; 06-09-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: didn't include picture.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Still didn't include picture
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

It uploaded. Wish I knew a bit about operating computers and fixing things. I'll give it one more try. However, I got everything back together and, while it doesn't twist easily as the old lock did, my wife can now lock and unlock the door so I must have improved some alignment enough that we can get in and out without climbing through a window. Thanks for the help guys.
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with new entry lock-100_2752.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

That's a Kwikset half-moon style spindle shape....just one of many MANY off shoots of Kwikset locks, which is fine.

At any rate, did you mean you couldn't turn the knob itself....or you couldn't turn the thumb knob to lock/unlock it?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #14

Knob turns fine and turning the thumb knob to unlock was okay but turning the knob to lock took a lot of pressure to turn. I could turn it (and I'm 79 but moderately strong yet) but my young bride, who is about 5' 2" and weighs like a feather, could not lock the door. Living on a little island where everyone knows everyone really makes door locks unnecessary but she grew up in the big city (50,000 people!) and she believes someone will do a home invasion. Of course, the whole front door is glass so a lock is really just something to make her feel safer. Anyhow, thanks again for all the good advice.
Jerry
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #15

Sounds like the knob might have just been made/assembled wrong...if it would turn easily one way but not the other.

Anyway, if it works for you, then that's all that matters. Glad ya got it.