DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   A problem with my tile fitting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/problem-my-tile-fitting-112137/)

barlow1984 07-27-2011 10:59 AM

A problem with my tile fitting
 
I have fitted a wall full of tiles in our bathroom and followed the guides on what to do, however because it was only my second go at doing it, I mismeasured slightly and now have a gap at the top of the wall of around 1-2cm which is too small to put a tile into but leaves a visible gap (keeping in mind the lovely paint behind is bright orange!). Do you have any suggestions of what to do to fix the problem?

Using coving is out of the question and using a tile also is but other than that happy to give anything a go.

Thanks in advance.

tpolk 07-27-2011 11:01 AM

why is there paint showing and not tile backer

barlow1984 07-27-2011 11:07 AM

Well there is some of the tile adhesive showing, I didn't use a tile backing just adhesive onto the wall and then tiles ontop.

Thanks for the quick response :thumbsup:

Blondesense 07-27-2011 12:57 PM

Why is cove or trim out of the question? If it is just along the ceiling covering the orange with a matching paint may make it less noticeable.

barlow1984 07-27-2011 02:59 PM

in one word, the wife! Coving would really sort it out easily :furious:

Ron6519 07-27-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barlow1984 (Post 694936)
in one word, the wife! Coving would really sort it out easily :furious:

That about 3/4". Add another layer of 1/2" sheetrock to the ceiling. Skim coat the difference.

Athomas7114 07-27-2011 07:21 PM

What type of tile is it? If it's the small 1/8" thick tiles, these can be easily cut to size using a score-and-snap tile cutter. I've successfully cut tiles as narrow as 3/8", though it can be tricky. Thicker tiles are a bit harder to cut by this method (though it can be done); you can rent a wet saw to accomplish cuts that a score-and-snap cutter can't handle.
If you're using larger tiles and using a sanded grout... You can fill a large gap with sanded grout and if it's done properly it looks ok. Helpful if the grout isn't too far off in color though!
Let me know if this helps!
Adam

oh'mike 07-27-2011 07:26 PM

If you don't like Rons suggestion (which is a clever save)---could you remove a few rows---then add an accent stripe?

Ron6519 07-27-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athomas7114 (Post 695117)
What type of tile is it? If it's the small 1/8" thick tiles, these can be easily cut to size using a score-and-snap tile cutter. I've successfully cut tiles as narrow as 3/8", though it can be tricky. Thicker tiles are a bit harder to cut by this method (though it can be done); you can rent a wet saw to accomplish cuts that a score-and-snap cutter can't handle.
If you're using larger tiles and using a sanded grout... You can fill a large gap with sanded grout and if it's done properly it looks ok. Helpful if the grout isn't too far off in color though!
Let me know if this helps!
Adam

He's trying to avoid an odd looking solution. Slivers of tile do not look good.

Athomas7114 07-27-2011 10:10 PM

If done right it can look acceptable. And likely LESS WORK than a new ceiling!
Gotta say though, I really like the idea of an accent stripe a few rows down, that sounds like the winning answer there.

Ron6519 07-27-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 695120)
If you don't like Rons suggestion (which is a clever save)---could you remove a few rows---then add an accent stripe?

If you get to the tile before it's up too long, you should be able to pop them off without too much trouble.
The accent tile is a good idea and a way to save the job from looking ill conceived.

DrHicks 07-28-2011 07:34 AM

He could just tell his wife to stick a sock in it, and keep her opinion to herself.

I see no problem with that! :eek:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved