Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Problem with Mice/Rats In House

I have a mouse/rat problem in my house. I bought a couple of rat traps and mouse traps. Ive set them all around the house. (It's a single story house if that matters). This has been a problem for me for a at least a month. (The first time I saw signs of mice/rats. I have caught two mice and one rat. (both mice/rats are in my garage as well which is a 2 car attached). The thing is I can't seem to catch any alotof the time. I bait the traps with a small amount of peanut butter, and almost every morning I check the traps, they are empty of peanut butter and unsprung. I have tried putting a large amount of peanut butter on them as well with the same results. I can't put poison out because I have a dog. This is really frustrating knowing that these mice/rats are living in my house. Please Help.

bikerider138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #2

I've been told that traps work for a limited mouse problem- the occasional one that seeks shelter to nest and litter. Traps are less effective for rats though. Unless you have many traps set up in their path, they will pass right by. Bait works better for rats. Most baits are safe for pets as long as they can get to it to eat it directly. The generally will not be affected by eating a poisoned animal. The first thing I would try to do is figure out where they are coming in, especially the rats. Although this is a DIY sight, I would also seriously consider an exterminator rats. Mice are a nuisance, rats are a more serious issue.

Last edited by Jim F; 10-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
the Musigician

Make your own traps, they tend to work better....

DM
Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM

Maybe yours do.

I’m surprised you posted no pic’s.

Haven’t seen the DM Rat Trap yet.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I've been told that traps work for a limited mouse problem- the occasional one that seeks shelter to nest and litter. Traps are less effective for rats though. Unless you have many traps set up in their path, they will pass right by. Bait works better for rats. Most baits are safe for pets as long as they can get to it to eat it directly. The generally will not be affected by eating a poisoned animal. The first thing I would try to do is figure out where they are coming in, especially the rats. Although this is a DIY sight, I would also seriously consider an exterminator rats. Mice are a nuisance, rats are a more serious issue.
Well, the mice/rats are eating the peanut butter off the traps, but I think you may be right. I need an exterminator. I've looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and the poison I got says to keep away from pets. I didn't see one safe for pets. Any idea where I could get some that's safe for pets?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

DM

pictures? ideas?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
DIY'er

Have you tried the sticky traps?
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
Have you tried the sticky traps?

yes, I did. I put some peanut butter in the middle of them and I did trap a mouse, but the two that I had sitting out sat for 4 days before the mouse got caught. It actually woke me up at 4am because the mouse was hollering. I'm seriously wondering if I know how to set a standard mouse trap right? The rat that I caught in the garage, the I found him outside the trap, dead. The trap went off while he was eating the peanut butter and it whacked him a good one. He bled all over the trap and garage floor and died next to the trap.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #9

You need to find out how they are getting in. If you don't do that, you will never get rid of them. They are coming in for the winter. They will continue to come in unless you find out how. Mice can get in a space less then 1/4" wide. Rats need a larger avenue.
Rat poison is a hemorrhagic one. They eat it and bleed to death. There are no pet safe rat poisons.
I would call an expert and use the time before they get there to find the openings.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You need to find out how they are getting in. If you don't do that, you will never get rid of them. They are coming in for the winter. They will continue to come in unless you find out how. Mice can get in a space less then 1/4" wide. Rats need a larger avenue.
Rat poison is a hemorrhagic one. They eat it and bleed to death. There are no pet safe rat poisons.
I would call an expert and use the time before they get there to find the openings.
Ron
Alright, I guess I know what I have to do. Thanks for the fast replies everybody.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
DIY'er

If you have a crawl space like I do then they will use that to gain access to the house, there is big traps for rats that are contained on a box, they are set that way cause of being very strong and will break a small finger. If you get the discovery channel look for a show called "billy the exterminator" think he even has a website. If you know somebody that has a cat you could borrow for a bit they will get mice and rats pretty good.
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Maybe yours do.

Iím surprised you posted no picís.

Havenít seen the DM Rat Trap yet.
Huh? Someone hasn't been paying attention.....

Yes Dear, I'll build you a better mousetrap....

Plus the bucket trap I did NOT invent, though I made a couple and they work well.

DM
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
pest control operator

Take a small piece of cotton, tie onto the trigger with dental floss, thread, etc. Smear pnut butter on the cotton. When they lick it, they get nothing, and since you have conditioned them for an easy meal, they will not be on guard, and will grab the cotton and tug on it. Their little rear ends now belongs to you, have fun!

Previous advice about rodenticide is on target. If you have a lot of rodents, traps won't solve, but will help. Place rodenticide behind kitchen stove, usually a safe place. If you have a basement, place bait on top of foundation wall, above drop ceiling, etc. Also bait attics. Keep dog out of basement if there is a danger of bait falling down. Also, dog owners are usually, but inadvertently feeding the rats with spilled dog food, unsecured containers, etc. Tighten up the inventory control. If you have a doghouse outside, check for rat burrows under and around it. They often live in close quarters with dogs, as the dogs food is attracting them.

Secondary poisoning, meaning animals eating poisoned rodents, is not realistic with modern day rodenticides. If you only want traps, then you should use several dozen and be very involved on a daily basis. Bacon is a good attractant for rats.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #14

Hey Bikerider138!
What form of trap did you decide to go with? And how did it work out for you?
harleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #15

Sticking half a jelly bean on the bait peddle of a snap trap works well for mice. They have to work at getting that loose and it catches them. The peanut butter they can just lick off as ahs been said. They only work for so long anyway till they get wise to the traps. The rats are another issue. I would not have them in my house.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote