Problem With Garage Door - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Problem with Garage Door

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought general discussion would be a good idea.

My husband and I just bought this house.. I've posted for a couple other issues. Another thing the inspector brought up to us that we need to fix is the garage door.

It opens fine.. but when you close it, you have to hold in the button until it hits the ground. If you let go of it, it will stop and go back up.

The inspector said this is because the sensors at the bottom are missing. But my father in law says that shouldn't cause that... and all that does is protect things from getting stuck in the door.. So who is right? Will replacing the sensors fix it or is something else wrong?

Advertisement

mhp8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #2

Problem with Garage Door

what's the brand and model # of the opener?

Advertisement

crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #3

Problem with Garage Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
what's the brand and model # of the opener?
It's a genie gxl9550
Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Problem with Garage Door

I did a web search and found the following at : www.geniedoor.com/troubleshooting-guides

Note: I didnt' see any specifics for your particular model, I would suggest calling Genie with your specific model as the transmitter kit says it works for Most photo cell systems.
1. My garage door will not go down using my transmitters. I can only get the door down by holding down on the wall button.

When the infra-red sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking. The problem is either due to a blocked path between the sensors, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just bad sensors. The transmitters (remotes) will not work to close the garage door. You will find that the door will only move an inch or so in the close direction and reverse. When this happens your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button, or wall console, until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety and close the door.
To try and correct the problem, make sure the eyes on the sensors are clean, the wire connections are securely fastened at the sensors and motor head, and the eyes are directed at each other. Also, try unplugging the garage door opener and re-plugging the unit back into the outlet. This acts as a reset and may reset the sensors. If nothing works, it may be that you have to replace the sensors. You can find new sensors on our Web site in the category section or by going directly to Infra-Red Sensors.
GENIE InfraRed Safety Kit
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
Genie infrared sensor kit
NO-ICON! GENIE InfraRed Safety Kit 34900R.S Genie Senso GENIE InfraRed Safety Kit 34900R.S
Replaces most GENIE infra-red photo cell systems. Does not replace first generation ISR 3-wire connection beams. Will not work with openers not originally equipped with infra-red sensors. Beams have screw terminal connections and come with mounting brackets, roll of wire, and complete mounting and wiring instructions.
These sensors have screw terminals, instead of plug-in or push in connections for the sensor wires. The pig-tail sensor plug, shown to the right in Related Items, is not needed to connect these sensors to the sensor wires.
crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #5

Problem with Garage Door

Thank you so much! That is exactly the problem.... and that's what the inspector said. We just need to get new sensors...

Thanks again!