Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Problem with Elite Miracle One swing gate opener

My Elite Miracle One gate opener (from 2001) has an intermittent problem when opening after resting in the closed position for a while. It opens only part way, becoming unresponsive for about 30 seconds. Then it operates just fine. The full description of its behavior is below. Does anyone have suggestions of further diagnoses or of causes? I am suspicious that the battery needs changing but am also concerned that the board or even the motor could be having problems. I have already changed the switch harness with no improvement.

-If the gate is closed for a while, it will open only part way and opens very slowly, even if the traveler manages to get past the switches. After the gate stops, the operator will not do anything for about 20 seconds until a relay clicks. Then it can be operated normally.
-After being operated one cycle, the opener is fully functional, able to be opened or closed normally as often as I want, until it is set in the closed position for some period of time.
-If the gate is left in the open position, it can be operated just fine even after a long rest.
-If the gate has been in the closed position, the problem occurs even if the traveler is disengaged and only the motor operates: the motor runs slowly for a short period, then stops until the relay clicks.
-During the partial, slow opening, the “battery-low” light flashes but the fully charged light remains on all the time. Once the gate stops, the battery low light goes off. Once the relay clicks, the battery low light never flashes during subsequent operations until the gate is left in the closed position for a while.

If the battery charge were the problem, why would the fully charged light stay on and the battery-low condition stop after the gate has opened once, draining the battery more?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

WWCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Question

I am seeming to have the same problem with my Elite Miracle Two Swing Gate opener. Were you able to resolve the problem?

eanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Eanda, my best guess is that this was a problem with the batteries, which were over 11 years old at the time. However, I wound up getting a replacement box including batteries and new board, which was on a special offer, so I cannot tell for sure.

When I discussed the problem with staff at "A Click Away Remotes", the person agreed that the battery might be the problem also. However, he also had some orphaned control boxes, including batteries and new board of the upgraded design plus wireless receiver. His story is that these were left over from selling the motor alone as a replacement part. He claimed that he wanted to get rid of these at a lowish price, as they were no longer made and folks looking for complete systems would buy the new, redesigned Liftmaster version, not the older model. As these boxes had all the upgrades before the complete redesign, I figured it would be worth the extra cost, several times the cost of new batteries alone, to have a better control board that might last another 10+ years. The new box works very well after 4+ months of use and presumably will not have some of the problems of the original boxes that were sold when the system was first introduced.

If it were not for this offer, presumably no longer available, I would have tried the batteries. New Yuasa NP7-12 (12 V, 7 Ah) batteries can be obtained on line for prices under $30 each (recent Ebay listings) or under $60 for the pair needed. Replacing the old ones looks relatively straightforward. If your battery pack is old and your system has similar symptoms, with no sign of a fuse or board failure, it might be worth trying out a pair before deciding to go to a new board, a new box, or new system.

Good luck and let everyone know how it turns out.
WWCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

WWCody, gonna try your suggestion and replace the batteries. Crossing my fingers (and toes). I will post my results.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

While removing the batteries I noticed that one of the batteries was leaking acid. The surge suppressor board is butted up against the plastic battery holder which caused some of the acid to trickle onto the suppressor board . This, in turn, caused connection failures and made the system to do weird things. I have since replaced the surge suppressor board and everything seems to working excellent (again). Still crossing my fingers and toes hoping it stays that way. It's too bad Chamberlain Elite has discontinued this swing gate operator. Thanks again WWCody for your help and guidance. If it wasn't for your post, I would not even guess where to start .