Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Price Quotes

I need to get an idea about how much i'll be looking at to have a room finished. I have tried to call around but everyone has been very pushy and we don't really know if we can afford it. We need a 22-1/2' x 14' room to be completed. There are already existing straight concrete walls and floor, ducting and electrical/lights installed. We need studs, drywall, ceiling, and a door installed. Then Paint, popcorn for ceiling, trim, stain (for door and trim) and carpet. I have already purchased all of the materials but don't know what the labor is going to cost me. Please give me an idea. Thanks Angel

aalvarado24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Price Quotes

Where are you? Location matters. What have your local estimates been?
How much will it cost? How much are you willing to pay?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Price Quotes

Wichita, Kansas. Haven't gotten any quotes. Everyone i have talked to wants to come out and "take a look". I don't really know how much it will cost. But the materials i have already purchased have totaled to about $1700.00
Old 03-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Price Quotes

Of course they want to take a look. I'd never hire a guy who didn't. They need to know if there are any issues that have to be resolved. Seeing the jobsite is the only way to accurately give you a price.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Price Quotes

There's a reason they want to "take a look"
Simply put, there are way too many factors unique to your project that could greatly affect production rates
Even if they know how long it should take, given perfect conditions, your particular project may have issues which could double or triple production rates over a perfect scenario

So much so, that I would distrust any over the phone quotes...if you could possible get any
In fact, I'd trust the "take a look" contractors much more because they insist on it
Really, it's not just a thing to High Pressure Sell you
It's necessary for an accurate bid

Anything over the phone is just a guess, or worse, a low-ball figure to get the appointment, then a more realistic figure once on-site
I'd distrust those that bid over the phone more than those that must "take a look"

By the same token, it would be difficult to get an accurate "quote" over the interweb
We could guess, based on the perfect scenario
And perhaps comment that XXXX seems high, or XX seems low
But that's about it...a guess

Your particular project may be cake, or may be a "Run, Forrest....Run!"

Not Trying To Give You A Dig But:
It's probably a good place to mention this to any/all readers
I'd be remiss in not mentioning (so I will), that the H/O (homeowner) purchasing materials is not necessarily the money saver that many H/Os think it will be
Simply put, many H/Os have no idea of the sundries involved, or a realistic idea of actual quantities of material, and how quality of material can greatly effect production

In other words, it's not always (in fact not usually) a good thing for the H/O in a money saving sense (materials are nearly always the least expense on a project)

Insufficient quantities, incorrect materials, and poor quality materials can easily add huge percentages to the labor involved

Especially when it comes to framing or trim work
It could easily be 3X the labor to make poor or incorrect materials work

It's not that good contractors want to "make an extra buck" on materials, for good contractors, it's a quality control thing

I can say that I barely, if ever, make a profit on materials
It's just that more often than not I lose money when the materials are provided
So my bids for "Customer Supplied Materials" are almost always higher than when materials are included in my bid
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

Price Quotes

Okay. I understand that. The truth is that i completed the work and have no idea what to charge the homeowner. I have never had to hire anybody to do anything, just always did what needed to be done. i dont want to be taken advantage of.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #7

Price Quotes

I can't see anyone estimating a job over the phone, sight unseen
They need to see what they have to do
Blind estimates maybe too high or too low
I had plumbing estimates run from $3k to $10k for the exact same work

As far as buying my own materials I bought my own windows & doors leading up to building an addition. Since the sizes were not set I bought stuff at less then 1/2 off retail prices

Quality of materials is very important, and as said - labor is the bigger expense. I had wood delivered & I ended up returning some as it didn't meet my inspection
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,226

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvarado24 View Post
Okay. I understand that. The truth is that i completed the work and have no idea what to charge the homeowner. I have never had to hire anybody to do anything, just always did what needed to be done. i dont want to be taken advantage of.
You charge whatever the contract says. If you don't want to be taken advantage of you need a contract and deposit before you start work.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvarado24
Well... I appreciate your honesty
And the honest answer is you shouldn't be charging nearly what I would anyway
Not a jab at you...but really...think about it
I would have had the knowledge and ability, the licenses, insurance, and other paperwork to do it myself or to sub out the work to experienced, quality, licensed and insured subs
I would have had the proper tools and techniques to finish the job in a certain amount of time
The job would not have been estimated, but promised at a set amount
If I was wrong, I'd be hosed
So...should you charge what I would have?
Not by a long shot mister

The work already having been done, however, your question is easily answered
Take how many hours it took, times what an average, unqualified "day laborer" (guy who hangs out out at Home Depot begging for day work, doesn't have paperwork, or pay overhead or taxes...not a slam, it's just telling it like it is) in your area makes (maybe 10-15 an hour), and hope the Homey doesn't decide that "reasonable" means $5 an hour, or some other 1931-1974-based fictitious amount they have in their head, because in the states I've worked in, you are hosed w/o a contract and the proper paperwork if they don't want to pay

ReCap:
Not nearly as much as a pro (sorry dude)
More than $5 an hour per actual time spent working on the project (how much more depending on region/market)
Figure the money you spent, lost, or wasted as the tuition of the School Of Hard Knocks
Praise to the Deity Of Your Choice if they pay, and don't ever do work w/o a contract again
Amen
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Price Quotes

You should go over to contractortalk.com and ask this question.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Thats just mean!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Yeah, let us know when you post the question so we can grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvarado24 View Post
Again, we cannot tell you what to charge.

How can you do a job, and finish it, and not have given a person the price yet?? WEIRD.

I don't know anyone that is willing to let someone do a job, without getting a ballpark price, or price. No one is going to say: "Go ahead and do the work, and give me your bill after it's done."

As far as not being taken advantage of, I'm more worried for the alleged Home Owner.

FWIW - This entire thread makes zero sense....and is just not believable.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #14

Price Quotes

Kinda weird that you have already finished the work & now are figuring out how to get paid ??
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Price Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Again, we cannot tell you what to charge.

How can you do a job, and finish it, and not have given a person the price yet?? WEIRD.

I don't know anyone that is willing to let someone do a job, without getting a ballpark price, or price. No one is going to say: "Go ahead and do the work, and give me your bill after it's done."

As far as not being taken advantage of, I'm more worried for the alleged Home Owner.

FWIW - This entire thread makes zero sense....and is just not believable.
It's totally believable. A Craigslist's "contractor" that's now wondering what to do when it comes to the business end of contracting.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote