DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Price per square foot to construct seperate garage (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/price-per-square-foot-construct-seperate-garage-171363/)

handyman_plus 02-08-2013 12:30 AM

Price per square foot to construct seperate garage
 
Hello everyone, after spending 30 years in manufacturing for the defense industry I am now looking to my hobby for employment, and possibly the internet.

Can someone tell me what a low, mid and high construction rate per square foot would be for building a 21x20 extension onto an existing garage. Slap is in place, blocks will be laid on the slap to bring the seal plane up to the existion, build and raise walls on three sides, two door, 1 with a 54" opening and the other a 96" opening. 5/12 pitch roof, decking covered with 15lb felt., T1-11 ext siding on all three sides to include gable stripped out and covered. Eaves finished with fascia boards and soffit. A local company will build and deliver roof trusses. No modifications to the back wall, which joins the new and existing buildings. Location is south central Arkansas. Thanks

ddawg16 02-08-2013 12:39 AM

Asking prices here does not work well. Too many variables.....don't be surprised if you get some not so nice answers....

With that said....welcome to DIYChatroom....a great place for info....

If I may suggest....go check out the GarageJournal....it's a web site only about garages.....the above question has been discussed many times there....

But this place is your best source for answers to more technical issues....

12penny 02-08-2013 06:26 AM

Labor+Materials+Overhead+Profit=Price

Only you know what these numbers are.
School of hard knocks will be your best teacher. :thumbsup:

oh'mike 02-08-2013 06:38 AM

Your post was confusing to me---are you hoping to go into the garage building business?

Or are you trying to get a ball park Idea on the cost of adding on to your garage?

If an add on----you need to make calls to local builders----a free standing garage is simple enough for an experienced builder to estimate------

However, additions are one of a kind--so pricing depends on how much work will be involved if matching up the old to the new----

12penny 02-08-2013 07:34 AM

If I read correctly, he's going into business and wants to
know how much to charge.

If I'm wrong, my bad. Maybe he'll come back and offer up
more info.

oh'mike 02-08-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 1112252)
If I read correctly, he's going into business and wants to
know how much to charge.

If I'm wrong, my bad. Maybe he'll come back and offer up
more info.

I sure found the post confusing-----if y0u are going to be writing contracts--you better have a 'scope of work' written with exactly what you will be doing--and what you will not----confusion leads to going broke in a hurry.:whistling2:

joecaption 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

You mean it's even possible to make a profit building stuff!
So that's what I'm doing wrong.

TarheelTerp 02-08-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1112263)
I sure found the post confusing---

It sounds like he has a pretty good idea of what he wants done for *this* garage but it's really too specific to see the Q's being about garages in general.

We often tell people to "make up a spec" and "have some drawings" and " have your job bid apples to apples"... my suspicion is that most of what passes for "builders" (or HVAC installers or twenty other categories) don't like plans and specs let alone customers who have them in advance and don't react well when they see their usual profit making change order business being cut off at the pass.

Quote:

Can someone tell me what a low, mid and high construction rate per square foot would be for building a 21x20 extension onto an existing garage... because when I ask locally all I'm getting is either dumb looks, crazy high numbers from the contractors I've talked to so far... or just no calls back at all.

12penny 02-08-2013 09:27 AM

Wow! Profit making change order business!

I for one, unless the job is small, won't bid a project
without first having an accurate drawing and a
very specific list of specifications.

I find change orders a pain in the a@@ because it
usually means I have to take something apart that
I just put together and it flushes a well thought out
schedule right down the crapper.

TarheelTerp 02-08-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 1112296)
Wow! Profit making change order business!
I for one... I find change orders a pain in the a@@...

Yeah.

Of course none of this applies to anyone reading this because as we all know everyone who posts in the forums is the cream of the crop in their industry and would never even consider running their business that way nor do they know of anyone who does.

12penny 02-08-2013 10:17 AM

Sarcasm?

brockmiera 02-08-2013 11:07 AM

I work with contractors all over the United States and we can build Pre Engineered Steel garages for $20-24 / sq ft for slab, foundation, materials, doors, windows, insulation, labor. Doesn't include electrical, plumbing, hvac, grading.

Now the locale changes things slightly. Metro DC is higher, Bluefield, WV a little lower.

Nailbags 02-08-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handyman_plus (Post 1112182)
Hello everyone, after spending 30 years in manufacturing for the defense industry I am now looking to my hobby for employment, and possibly the internet.

Can someone tell me what a low, mid and high construction rate per square foot would be for building a 21x20 extension onto an existing garage. Slap is in place, blocks will be laid on the slap to bring the seal plane up to the existion, build and raise walls on three sides, two door, 1 with a 54" opening and the other a 96" opening. 5/12 pitch roof, decking covered with 15lb felt., T1-11 ext siding on all three sides to include gable stripped out and covered. Eaves finished with fascia boards and soffit. A local company will build and deliver roof trusses. No modifications to the back wall, which joins the new and existing buildings. Location is south central Arkansas. Thanks

Please contact local contractors in your area. doing this on line has so many veritables it is not even funny. I would charge you if you want to know 50 dollars per sq foot.

oh'mike 02-08-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailbags (Post 1112447)
Please contact local contractors in your area. doing this on line has so many veritables it is not even funny. I would charge you if you want to know 50 dollars per sq foot.

Does that include your travel and lodgings?:laughing:

handyman_plus 02-10-2013 09:34 PM

Replies.
 
Thanks for everyone's reply, even those that were not much help. I definitely may have made it confusing "a little" because I wasn't clear in that I was only looking for labor rate. The job is only a few miles from my house. The materials cost from two local supply yards is $1589 and $1812.00, plus the $1000 for trusses bring material to $2800 and a labor bid of . I thought this site was a site where you could come to find help but maybe I was wrong. I haven't spent a lot of time in forums, or anytime really. I am unemployed after working 30 years in the aerospace industry. I have a good retirement income in place just need to make it 7 more years. I love carpentry and was looking to maybe bridge the gap doing this. Yes, I have a lot of things to catch up on but am not brand new to the arena. I built the 2200 sq ft house I have lived in the last 26 years. The only thing I contracted out was the HVAC, laying of the rock, the slab pouring and finishing, sheet rock, and the foundation and blocks. I did the rest with help of family and friends. I am turning in a bid that equates to about $21 a sq ft. Those of you that gave a real answer, I appreciate it, and those that just posted see you're local contractor, well I wouldn't of posted if that was what I wanted to do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved