Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

pressure treated deck problem

Had a new deck installed 4 mos ago on condo. Started getting blackened areas across top rail inside and out and looks like white and green mold or algae. Almost appears to be coming out of cracks and knots.Treated it with bleach solution but keeps spreading and now on rails. The rest of deck is fine, but this one board always feels cool and wet and remains darker than other boards.It just will not dry. Rest of condo owners do not have this problem and all decks were replaced at same time. Could this board have been moldy when placed? Why is it always damp? Need to seal deck soon and wondering if board should be replaced. Thanks for any suggestions.

julie708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #2

If it is easy I would just replace it. Does the area see sun light and if so how much?

waitegarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #3

Treated wood isn't a very good environment for mold to grow. I doubt that you have mold, although anything's possible.

I've seen a number of water-based treatment processes that have dark spots. One even looks black and green...Splotchy.

Most deck materials are ACQ or copper azole, neither of which should have all that much color variation.

The dampness is hard to explain. It might just be a squirrely piece of wood. I'd just replace it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote