Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

power wrench, electric or pneumatic

im looking for a good impact wrench to make working on my motorcycles easier... i already have some milwaukee M18 family of tools, and their cordless impact wrench claims 475ft/lbs of torque... costs about $200 total... corded models seem to have 300ft/lbs

for pneumatic, seems most of these pneumatic tools use roughly 4-5scfm at 90PSI, which i can find in portable air compressors.. and the torque these offer vary greatly... some only 400ft/lbs, some up to 1200ft/lbs

so i guess the suggestion im looking for is how much torque i actually need, and the best place to get it

jason41987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Jason,

The Ingersoll Rand Commando 20V cordless impacter has tons of torque (1100 ft-lbs), but its more than $200
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com...rque-impactool

I've used it and love it.

randlefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #3

Are you saying your M18 isn't powerful enough? Another great tool with about 475 ft-lbs is the Snap-on CT7850, but its really pricey. I don't have any advice on air tools. I design switches for cordless power tools at work so that's my area of expertise.
Attached Thumbnails
power wrench, electric or pneumatic-image-2059219298.jpg  

Last edited by randlefactor; 12-07-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

no, its not so much a matter if whether or not these tools are powerful enough, but how much power is actually needed?... for the average mechanical project as ive mentioned using this for, how much is the maximum torque you would trust to get a nut or bolt off without snapping the head off completely?...

im trying to determine what that safe amount of torque is that can be applied to average automotive machine screws to avoid getting something too powerful for what i need and end up with bigger problems than a stuck bolt
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41987 View Post
no, its not so much a matter if whether or not these tools are powerful enough, but how much power is actually needed?... for the average mechanical project as ive mentioned using this for, how much is the maximum torque you would trust to get a nut or bolt off without snapping the head off completely?...

im trying to determine what that safe amount of torque is that can be applied to average automotive machine screws to avoid getting something too powerful for what i need and end up with bigger problems than a stuck bolt
Ayuh,.... Which average automotive machine screws,..??

I have air impacts for doin' heavy stuff like lug nuts, 'n spring bolts, etc...

I use my Makita impact driver for lighter stuff,....

The electric impacts will rarely break free a 3/8- 16 bolt, where as the air impact doesn't even labor...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

how much torque is produced by your air impact wrench?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,150

A good impact driver would do at least 95% of what your suggesting.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #8

but impact wrenches vary greatly in the amount of torque they product... from about as much torque as sneezing on a wrench to enough torque to break some pretty big bolt heads off... the question is how much is too much, and whats going to be enough to get most jobs done?... an impact wrench that cant get off the tough bolts is little more than a paperweight
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
im looking for a good impact wrench to make working on my motorcycles easier...
Ayuh,... I'm a Mechanic,... I've got a pile of Impacts,....

Air powered, I've got a few 1/2" drives, a couple 3/8" drives, 'n a Big Burtha, 1" drive...

Big Burtha will give ya nearly 2000 ft.lbs. if you can supply enough air long enough...

The 1/2" drives run 400/ 600 ft.lbs., which is plenty for most automotive wheel lug nuts...

The 3/8" drives run a couple hundred ft.lbs., 'n can easily strip a 5/16" bolt, but usually not a 1/2" bolt...

I never had much luck with electric driven, til this latest crop of battery tools came out a few years ago,...
As I said, I went with the Makita 18v,...
I use it All the time with 3/8" sockets,...
If it don't pop loose a bolt, I just switch to the racket to break it free, 'n switch back...
Saves alota time on up to 1/2" bolts...

I'd think any of the better 18v tools will serve you nicely on scooters...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #10

odd though.. how an 18v tool capable of drawing a max of 20 amps (as determined by the individual cells used in the battery pack) can beat out a 110v tool capable of drawing 20 amps from a wall socket... seems theres something to these DC cordless tools vs the AC corded ones.. so id like to get by with DC electric... in fact, im designing a backpack to hold three 6v sealed batteries for an all-day long battery pack.... who says the battery has to be on the tool itself to be portable?

so i think ill get the 1/2" milwaukee impact wrench, 475ft/lbs on it
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,150

You would find an impact driver far more useful.
It will both bolts and screws, plus you can even get hex shanked drill bit to use in it.
An impact wrench will only do nuts.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41987
odd though.. how an 18v tool capable of drawing a max of 20 amps (as determined by the individual cells used in the battery pack) can beat out a 110v tool capable of drawing 20 amps from a wall socket... seems theres something to these DC cordless tools vs the AC corded ones.. so id like to get by with DC electric... in fact, im designing a backpack to hold three 6v sealed batteries for an all-day long battery pack.... who says the battery has to be on the tool itself to be portable?

so i think ill get the 1/2" milwaukee impact wrench, 475ft/lbs on it
Jason,
18v impacts draw a lot more than 20 amps out of lithium batteries. During heavy loading the amperage will spike and the better switches will cut off the power after a set amount of time.

THREE 6v batteries!!!!!! No way, I wouldn't do that unless you want to void your warranty and end up buying a new tool. First off, a switch designed to use lithium ion batteries is not meant to take sealed lead acid batteries or even ni-cads. In fact, lithium ion batteries for one tool may not or will not work for other brand tools that have communication between the switch and battery.

It sounds like you should start with the Milwaukee tool you have and add some PB Blaster and a torch to loosen those really tough bolts.