Powder Room Cracked Tile- - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Powder room cracked tile-

In my powder room the tile has cracked and from the outside of the washroom the hardwood flooring has warped right beside the washroom...
It first started with the marble transition piece between the floor and the tile cracked then the tile then the hardwood floor start to warp
I don't see any water leakage
Before I start fixing the floor I was wondering if there are anything I need to fix I was wondering what is the reason behind this
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Powder room cracked tile--image-2281215700.jpg   Powder room cracked tile--image-2744622000.jpg   Powder room cracked tile--image-102624451.jpg  

Advertisement

renogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

My, that's quite a thing. There are more experienced people who may have seen exactly this situation before, but it looks to me that the flooring didn't have enough room to expand with seasonal changes, or it got wet and expanded.

That's assuming that nothing is underneath that transition piece that would have pushed it upwards; I can't tell from the picture. My solution would be to cut back the wood flooring a bit and see if it'll lay flat, otherwise replace the plank. Replace the transition piece and broken tiles, and leave a small gap for expansion and contraction.

That hardwood floor product should have been installed with about a 1/4" gap all the way around at the walls to allow it to expand and move with changing temperature and humidity, if that wasn't done, it'll give you more trouble down the road.

Advertisement

McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,668

Something moved you must figure out what. From the pics it moved a lot. Tile will not move that is why it cracks. Start with the substrate and the framing. Not sure but I don't think that floor is hardwood it looks like tile that looks like hardwood, due to the grout lines.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 602

Any access under the floor in that area?
I'd also be taking a look under that area to see if something's moved.
Once the tiles removed you should be able to see if the sub floor moved or it's "tenting" caused from no gap at the walls.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

That's some extreme swelling----Pull out the affected wood and tile---look for water---I've never seen that degree of swelling without water causing it--
joecaption (12-28-2013), Live_Oak (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 81

At first I thought you may have a weak floor system, perhaps not Tg plywood or under sized joists. But Picture #2 looks like the hardwood/engineered flooring is buckling from lack of expansion joints. That could surely crack those tiles as in the picture.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 81

Can we see a cross section of the transition piece as well as a photo of the floor with the transition piece removed.

Advertisement

one cut is offline   Reply With Quote