Pouring Base For Preformed Steps - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Pouring base for preformed steps

I need to install permanently a set of preformed steps leading to a house. Temporary I set them on concrete blocks solid underneath on the flat and the edges of the blocks are crumbling. I should explain this set of preformed steps are one step short of high enough,,,couldnt get the right height that day!!

Other problem is I bump them for any reason and they move around too much. I thought they would be heavy enough to not move,,,guess NOT!! The leading edge of the blocks are forming the first step.

Also wanted to make some permanent and solid handrails for these steps same time. Thought about some 2" 1/4 inch angle iron and set a couple foot down into and thru the base crete and 'one or two bolt them to the top piece so they are removable if I want to back up closer for appliance delivery etc. AND also bolted or lagged to wood on inside of porch(wooden old type open with roof) And can rattle can spray them to match house color(lite yellow)

Question is,,,should the base step /foundation for the steps be completely level?? Or tipped a half bubble so water runs off gently??Thus making the precast tip?? Best method of bolting this precast down to the base?? Any better handrail options of being 'solid'?? How do you figure out exactly how long and exactly how high to make this base/first step?? City says it has to be within 1/4 inch of perfect?? Thanks for any advice on same!!--just don--

Advertisement

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

A lot of questions in this post.

Yes, I would slope the base for water run off. Nothing to drastic, just make sure rain will run off.

I will try and re-read your post in a bit and add more, I have some work to do.

Advertisement

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the reply Cole. I am off to frame this baby up if I can find the necessary supplies,,,either that or visit the local lumber yard!!

Any suggestions how to make this stair hand railing(a matched pair) at home(15 miles from house) out of solid 2X2 angle iron,,,cut on proper slant and run to make it fit,,, Then install there?? Thanks--just don--
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

In order to keep the steps from moving, you use the same type of Caulk that is used for retaining walls. They also make a tape that can be used.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote