Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Newbie Bill

Share |

Potentially controversial - Direct Buy?

OK gang,

I searched for information on Direct Buy and did not find any.

It sounds like Direct Buy would be a perfect fit for a DIYer.

So I am wondering if this DIY community has any experience with this entity? I guess I really would like to know if is just the big ripoff some people suggest, or are there really some advantages to using them for sourcing cabinets/flooring/furniture/appliances etc?

Let the bashing begin.

drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I got a $500 watch for $50, and a 5 piece set of Amelia Earheart luggage for $70.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #3

This is beating a dead horse...again.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

Well thanks for the constructive post Ron. I sure appreciate your honesty.

You must be having a bad day given the quality and tone of your posts today.

I apologize to have inconvenienced you with this post but since I seem to have missed the previous discussions on Direct Buy you refer to. And since I couldn't find anything when I search that name, perhaps you the wise and experienced one can point me to those topics.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #5

Google "Direct Buy scam"
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Google "Direct Buy scam"
Jerry, I have googled those exact words. And that is why I am asking the question here.

I trust the sources of information from this website a lot more than I do the general public. So I thought I would get some input, good and bad, from some of the people who's opinion I respect.

And at least I can see where you stand. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 03-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

Here's a link to a Consumer's Reports article on the company.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...irectbu-1.html

Maybe it wasn't on this forum that this was discussed.
The short version is you walk into the showroom and either give them about $5000. for a membership or you get your rearend out and don't come back.
Ron
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Here's a link to a Consumer's Reports article on the company.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/hom...irectbu-1.html

Maybe it wasn't on this forum that this was discussed.
Ron
Now that is what I am talking about. Thank you for that link Ron.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #9

Always willing to help our Northern brothers see the light.
Ron
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #10

Here's another one.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...491014503.html

Ron
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to ckellyusa

eh...

I've got to say, if you're doing major renovations, it's a good thing. If you're only doing little projects here and there, then it's not worth it.

Yes, membership is expensive, say 3 - 5k, but when doing an entire room remodel, you can easily recoup that money in savings. I say it just depends on your project.

Last edited by ckellyusa; 03-18-2009 at 07:10 AM.
ckellyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

I'll bite.
So, lets see, Willie paid about $5K for the privilege of buying a $500 watch for $50 and some luggage for $70. Seems to me he paid $5120 for a watch and a set of luggage.

My experience - My parents needed and were planning a new bathroom and a new kitchen. Full gut jobs each. They visited and were given a high pressure pitch, today only, cant come back if you don't pay sort of thing. No ability to do homework, ask anyone's opinion. I am doing the work on the projects. They bought so they could save. They are retired, on a fixed income. The renovations are being paid out of savings. The idea is that they fix up the house before they need to move out and into a retirement home or something so they can enjoy the upgrades. The house hasn't been remodeled in like ever.

First up - the bathroom. Lets see - Kohler cast iron tub. Final price was about the same as elsewhere. Tile, most was just pictures - found a designer elsewhere that helped with a plan. Faucets - wrong parts were orderd (valve body was for a different style than they picked out). Found the correct one cheaper online. Toilet - maybe 10% less. They wanted to charge extra to deliver the tub to the house due to size weight. That would have made it MORE EXPENSIVE than buying online or about anywhere else. I picked it up at their wherehouse so we could save something.

So, spent $4800 for membership as I recall and have saved maybe $30 plus the agravation of picking up the stuff myself and the wasted afternoon.

Moving on to Kitchen - Cabinets - Designer no help. They can take your ideas and plug them into a computer and generate a quote but thats about it. No help whatsoever in coming up with a cab layout. Parents went elsewhere for a design and took it back to DB for a quote. The quote at DB was HIGHER for the identical cabinets, same factory, finish, everything. Oh, and the independed guy would hold them and deiver to the job site when we needed them. DB couldn't do that nor could the even tell us an ETA beyond 6-8 weeks or so. Granite - you shop from a catalog. Parents found a local supplier. Ends up the local supplier does sub workd for DB and beat their price. Parents got to pick out exact slab the wanted. Faucet - price was beat at faucets direct online. Sink - who knows, got it through granite guy. Maybe they could have beathen that price. Flooring - Put in santos mahogany acquired locally. Could not have found much at DB beyond the stuff they have at big box stores, this floor is unique.

So - all in all my parents paid probably $6000 for a tub, toilet, a trim kit for a shower valve and a bath faucet. Add to that the headaches of dealing with them, Ug.

Do what you want. My experience is you can match or beat their prices on everything I have seen. They will come back and say they have better quality. Not really, a kohler tub is a kohler tub regardless of where you get it. They also do some monkey business like the matress companies do. You cant find the matress you saw at Macy's over at Boscov's - yea same mattress with a different label and name. I think DB does this on some stuff too to make it hard to comparison shop with some things.

bottom line - stay away.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #13

You'd be financially better off buying your cabinets, carpet, or whatever from an Amway salesman.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Newbie Bill

Is Amway still around? Got a number? Just kidding.

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said I have read alot of the negative feedback on the web, but there is still a part of me that was wondering if there are any deals to be had. But $4000 to $5000 is a high price to pay to find out. And that is why I asked the question here.

I asked, you answered, Thanks.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #15

Glen Beck advertised them as worthwhile, so I looked into them. They wanted way too much personal information just to take a looksee, so I said no thanks. Any one that starts asking for credit card #'s and SS # worries me.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote