A friend of mine just had the windows replaced in his house (20+ windows). The fumes from the caulking were so bad that he actually could not sleep in the house. He told me that the caulk that was used is oil based (not sure). The house has all of the windows open to let it air out.
I've done some caulking in the past (not to that scale) and never noticed that much of a strong smell.
Is this normal ?!?! We're concerned because him and his wife actually had to leave the house in the middle of the night. Is this a hazard ? :confused:
My understanding is that while caulking cures the gas released is toxic and naturally oddorness (this depends on the type of caulk), the potent smell was added to ward people away; like the rotten-eggs smell of natural gas.
Oddly enough I could find no information to verify this on the internet, but I believe it to be true.
It was probably acetic acid, which is used as a curing agent in silicone caulks. It is non toxic. It's basically a strong vinegar.:)
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.|
Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved