DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Post project problems.

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  styleten 
#1 ·
I had a basement entrance put in. When i did it brought a new draft my body couldn't really handle and i kept getting sick. I associated it with a change in insulation to the room ( the new draft) and post construction debris in the air.

Winter came and went and it was terrible. The draft was so terrible i froze all winter. The season changed and i decided to section off an L shaped apartment. One big room. One small room.

Wood studs to frame it. Covered in wood paneling. Base board heat.

I never liked the paneling cause it didn't match exact to the stuff that was put up 30 years ago. Two different tones really annoy me and i think i'll take from one room to complete the other then put up new paneling in one entire room. Then one room is lighter brown the other is darker but both rooms are complete.

Does one fix warped wood paneling or does one replace it?

Tried taking pics but they didn't come out well. I'm not going to put them up.

#2 ·
Why was the source of the air leak not found and fixed?

There is no fixing warped paneling.
If those walls were not built right and insulated properly, or the paneling was installed in direct contact with a slab foor this is going to be an on goinging issue.

#3 ·
I took one piece off so far and i'll remover another so one side of the wall is fully exposed. The stud frame had panel on both sides of it. I see how many screws he seems to be using so i might just take the entire thing down and enjoy the more spacious feel i used to have and come to miss. What to do with the baseboard is a problem. I don't know plumbing so i can't drain the system, cap the end, store the baseboard piece for winter and then re assemble everything. Or recycle it to another part of the house. Once the walls out i have a problem with the left over baseboard in the middle of the room.

#4 ·
About the temperature problem. I don't know if there was an air leak. I think going from a sealed cement foundation to a door way left a change in insulation. 12 inches of cement reduced to a 2 inch thick door sounds like a change in temp should be expected. Temp outside makes the door cold, Air on the inside is cooled by the cold door, air temp in the room gets colder. That is my best explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.