Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

Is it possible to cut 1/2" plywood without shredding it?

Is it possible to cut 1/2" plywood with a circular saw without shredding the top layer? Every time i cut half inch, the very top layer shreds and it looks horrible. If this is even possible, how can i do it?

This is the best pic ive got of what happens when i try to cut half inch plywood. The edge of the countertop support along the wall
Attached Thumbnails
Is it possible to cut 1/2" plywood without shredding it?-bathroom-electric.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Flip it over. The bottom will be tore out instead of the top, if that's acceptable to you.

or

Use a plywood blade (has more teeth).

BTW, if it's going to be covered with countertop, what's it matter? (other than you're own need to make everything nice, even if nobody but you knows it's nice.......which I understand, totally. )
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

I need both sides presentable. Ill look for the plywood blade, ive just been using the one that came with my saw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

What brand and model of saw?
What brand, size, cutting type, and # of teeth on the blade? How much, and what kind of wood has been cut with this blade?
Most important... what are the angle and depth settings on your blade?

What kind of plywood? Besides just 1/2".
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #5

the plywood is birch. the saw, all i know is its a Ryobi cordless circular saw, not sure of the model but its the one that comes in the multipack with the reciprocating saw, flashlight, and drill.

the blade has been used to cut whitewood pine, birch plywood, and oak plywood

Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

fine toothed blade and I usually cover any cuts I'm about to make with painters tape. It will limit the damage somewhat and will prevent the saw base from leaving a mark.
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
the plywood is birch. the saw, all i know is its a Ryobi cordless circular saw, not sure of the model but its the one that comes in the multipack with the reciprocating saw, flashlight, and drill.

the blade has been used to cut whitewood pine, birch plywood, and oak plywood
And you are only letting the blade tips hang down about 1/8" below the bottom of the plywood, right? No farther. And you are cutting with the unfinished (final) side down?

Seems like you already know what a clean, sharp blade should sound like when cutting... and you let it rev free and fast?

Well, I dunno what else to suggest.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #8

Maybe i just need a fine tooth blade. i dunno, it has to be the half inch at fault because it slices through 3/4" and 1/4" and masonite board without a problem. The masonite i covered with painters tape and turned upside down because it was finished, but with the half inch, the bottom side of the cut is perfectly smooth and the top side is chewed and shredded all to hell and back

Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
Maybe i just need a fine tooth blade. i dunno, it has to be the half inch at fault because it slices through 3/4" and 1/4" and masonite board without a problem. The masonite i covered with painters tape and turned upside down because it was finished, but with the half inch, the bottom side of the cut is perfectly smooth and the top side is chewed and shredded all to hell and back
Well, if it bugs you, you CAN score the cut line several times with a razor knife first, and stay JUST shy of the knife cut when you saw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-31-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Ryobi's cordless saw doesn't have the rpms to make a clean cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleCat For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-01-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #11

I use a Freud Diablo 60T blade on my circular saw. It makes great cuts, regardless of what I am cutting. I have also taken the time to tape both sides of the cut just for insurance. It helps.

Almost guaranteed smooth results.
Hope this helps.
Mike

Note: 1 3/4 inch hard maple table top cut to final length and width using the blade mention installed on a Makita 50007MG 7 1/4 inch circular saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it possible to cut 1/2" plywood without shredding it?-2012-11-19-17.17.10.jpg  
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Civil Engineer

I too use a Freud carbide tipped saw blade, but on my table saw. Makes nice cuts. However, if you want really clean cuts in plywood, nothing beats a heavy duty router with a sharp carbide tipped bit. I use a 3-1/2 HP router with a 1/2 inch diameter carbide straight bit when I need the best results on plywood. You need to make three passes or so for best results, otherwise you can burn the wood, but this is pretty easy if you use a clamp on fence.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Ryobi's cordless saw doesn't have the rpms to make a clean cut.
Most cordless saws don't
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsbuilders For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

And aren't most cordless saws different size than the 7 1/4. With the plywood blade (at least 80 teeth) and score the cut line should stop the splintering. And for cutting sheet goods you may find a cheap skil saw (around $30) that plugs in in a good investment. And don't go cheap on the plywood blade birch ply isn't cheap so get a good blade.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #15

If you don't mind wasting a little wood you can clamp or screw a second piece of wood to the top and cut through both pieces, after you unclamp them the bottom piece should not have any tear out.
mrwoodty is offline   Reply With Quote