Possible To Build Direct-vent Fireplace? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Possible to build direct-vent fireplace?

Hi - not sure if this is the proper category but a search showed several fireplace questions in the general discussion.

I've got a house with a see-through fireplace. Its a brick house and the fireplace is built into a brick wall between rooms. Originally it was a wood fireplace which the previous owner converted to a gas fireplace/logs. Its a beautiful fireplace, but I wish it were more efficient as I have to have the flue open and it burns the warm room air sending it up the chimney. I went to a couple fireplace stores and they suggest adding two inserts back-to-back. At $2-3K per insert that adds up quick (and of course they'd love to sell me 2). The fireplace is also an 'odd' size - not too tall of an opening but wide (19" tall by 42" wide by 33" deep) - the few see-through inserts I've seen won't work.

My question is would it be possible to add ceramic glass doors and a cold-air flue (kinda like the direct vent fireplace tubes) to the existing fireplace (currently it's only got screens)? I'd have to find a way to seal the doors, etc. but I'm thinking its do-able. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried such a think/heard of such a thing.

Thanks,
DIYerself

Advertisement

DIYerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Inserts would be the best way to go.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

I don't see why you could not install glass doors in place of the screens,and a fresh air intake, which would help the efficiency a lot, but I don't think I would seal them up completely. I doubt if the current gas logs are anywhere near as clean burning as the logs designed for vent free models, thus I think you will get a build up on the inside of the glass doors that will have to be cleaned from time to time.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

If you have a problem, you may not any fire insurance coverage with a unit that is not certified or "conforming" to acceptable standards. - After the fact/problem/fire, it is hard to prove that is conforming unless you bought it and it was installed properly.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote