Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

porch roofs

My screened in porch inside roof gets mildewed during the winter. Does anyone know why? I'm considering converting to a 3-season but want to solve the mildew problem before thinking about adding a ceiling with or without insulation.

jalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

porch roofs

Not enough ventilation. You probably need vents at gable end, if it is a gable roof, or high on either side for a shed type roof. But if you will be closing it in, you should have soffit/ridge vents. Soffits are usually easy as are gable roofs, but shed roofs are harder. They do make a vent for adding to the top of a shed roof.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

porch roofs

Thank you, Just Bill. I'm having a roofing contractor come out this week to look at putting in more ventilation. It is a gabled roof. I really appreciate your input. Planning to have a ceiling put in once it's ventilated and possibly insulate it, thinking it will keep the room cooler.
jalg is offline   Reply With Quote