DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Porch Railings

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
Hello to all, I'm a new kid on the block, be patient with me.Keyboard is not my thing, so typo is.Great site with a lot of good stuff to the every DIY, especially me. I need help with my front porch end railings. " Fallow the slop on the floor? or level with the front railings? 1" 3/4 on 6'. I have all different opinions from locals. For me level looks normal if you looking from outside in, but weird: when it is from inside of it. Thanks!:wallbash:

#3 ·
Thanks robertcdf, I hope you understand my question, some times I write with my accent, as my wife say, so get little frustrating to others. I was referring to the two ENDS railing 6' feet section each.If i do as you say, the bottom railing will be 3" 1/2" above floor next the the house wall and the front post. Will be a tough job to cut the balusters. angle and different length on each one. Thanks!

#5 ·
Well,Selema--I see you are finding your way around!

A simple way to see what looks right for your house is to 'build' the railings with masking tape first.

I like to make the porch rails level with the top and bottom parallel to each other---try that with tape and see if you like the look-----if you don't mind the floor gap tapering under the bottom rail--then you have a plan.

If it bothers you---move the tape and look at it again----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.