Porcelain Quality On Steel And Cast Iron Tub? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Porcelain Quality on Steel and Cast Iron Tub?

Hi,

I don't have a wide choice of tubs where I live. I've short-listed my tub choices to two and having trouble deciding which to go for.

The first one is an Ariston steel bathtub. A heavy gauge variety is available, which seems more durable than the regular one. The other choice is a Chinese bathtub made of cast iron. The brand is Palazzo and it's a division of New Zhong Yuan Ceramics. The shopkeeper says it's a premium Chinese brand, but I remain a little skeptical about the quality. They do produce a lot of units, but that doesn't ensure quality?

I noticed one interesting thing, though. The porcelain coating of the Chinese tub is very shiny compared to the Ariston's. Does that mean the coating quality is better/longer lasting? Do steel and cast iron tubs use different types of porcelain coating in general?

Another problem with the cast iron tub is that they only have the display model for sell, one that has been laying in the shop for a while (maybe 2 years) and have become a little dirty. They have kept boxes and fiberglass tubs over it and I'm afraid that the lack of care might have damaged it somehow. But if it's really good, maybe a good cleaning would make it as good as new? On the other hand, the Ariston sales person said they can give me a brand new unit from their warehouse.

I guess my main weakness for that Chinese tub is its glaze/luster. Another point is that it's two inches wider than the Ariston. Once I install the tub, it's likely to stay for many years and I want to make the best decision. It's funny how much I've been thinking over it for a considerable time. I probably have to make the final decision within this week. I'll be grateful if you can provide some valuable advice!

Advertisement

MrTubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

ariston-made in italy, yes?
made in china could have a ton of lead in the glaze used and it could leech into your skin, or poor quality glaze, or too thin metal, or pot steel, or...? with all the junk coming from there and all the recalls due to improper manufacture and inspection, i'd certainly think it through....

DM

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply. Hmm, is lead a big concern if the enamel is not cracked? The glaze looks very good and that's the most attractive thing about it. It's glossier than any steel tub I've seen so far. I don't think the metal is too thin either, it weighs a lot.
MrTubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
the Musigician

have you asked the wife which one SHE wants? lol
and lead is in the glaze, whether cracked or not. people used to die from lead poisoning from teapots glazed with lead.
not saying THAT has lead, but with all the things coming from china WITH lead being recalled...... whatever...

DM
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

lead was added to paint, not acrylic urethane which is what the tubs are glazed with.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
the Musigician

coulda fooled me! i always thought cast iron tubs were finished with baked on porcelain enamel!
but what do i know?

DM

Advertisement