Popcorn Ceiling Rant... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

I just spent the last couple days with one of my sons & his wife, working on their house. One project was removing the popcorn texture from the living & dining room ceiling, and doing whatever necessary to repair & paint it.

This is one angle of the room(s)...

What surprised me most was the fact that the ceiling was in almost perfect condition, so I can't imagine why they even sprayed that crap on there in the first place! They weren't covering cracks or other problems.

Also, the stuff was over 1/4" thick. I don't know how many "coats" that was, and cannot imagine what they were doing.

Any idea why they would have sprayed that crap on so thick?

And who was it that EVER sprayed a ceiling down with that, stepped back, and said, "Wow, that looks REALLY nice!"???

Rant done...

Advertisement

Last edited by DrHicks; 02-29-2012 at 12:57 PM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

That stuff is still sprayed everyday in new homes. It's fast, easy, cheap, has high hide capabilities, acoustical dampering, and looks good(matter of opinion) and lasts quite awhile before someone has to deal with it in an average of about 20 years once its collected enough dust and discolored. For some reason people feel inclined to touch it like a scab and try to do silly things like paint it and end up peeling the texture off using improper tools. Most of the time it can be left alone and does not require any freshening up.

Knock down and orange peel are nicer alternatives but require more work so most builders will only do as an extra cost where as popcorn is still default.

Advertisement

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Popcorn was a common mix of crappy ceiling paint and texture used mainly in new construction to avoid having to tape/mud or otherwise finish drywall ceilings. Some early ceilings did have asbestos but most were other materials.

It sounds like yours was a legit ceiling if it was that thick. It was probably probably sprayed on for acoustics and perhaps restoration/renovation fashion---especially if it was not covering ceiling defects. If yours was 1/4 thick it probably did have some sound dampening qualities.

No getting around that a popcorn ceiling looks like a popcorn ceiling though. Unless yours was failing, you probably could have sprayed it. Most like I mention, that were used to skimp on drywall finishing, come apart with brush and roller covers and the only possible hope is to spray them. The majority had no primer underneath them and once they start failing... At least they come down relatively easily once you commit to the task.

Best to get them down.

As a style thing, they look totally goofy and out of place as do knockdown ceilings in antique homes.

Thanks for ranting. I don't think you will find painters on this site that like popcorn ceilings?

Last edited by user1007; 02-29-2012 at 05:33 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Popcorn was a common mix of crappy ceiling paint and texture used mainly in new construction to avoid having to tape/mud or otherwise finish drywall ceilings.

It sounds like yours was a legit ceiling if it was that thick and probably sprayed on for acoustics---especially if it was not covering ceiling defects. If yours was 1/4 thick it probably did have some sound dampening qualities.

No getting around that a popcorn ceiling looks like a popcorn ceiling though. Unless yours was failing, you probably could have sprayed it. Most like I mention, that were used to skimp on drywall finishing, come apart with brush and roller covers and the only possible hope is to spray them. They majority had no primer underneath them and once they start failing...

Best to get them down.
This popcorn texture was a real piece of work. It's almost as though an amateur sprayed it on. It was uneven & just kind of glopped on. I've never seen anything like it - especially the thickness. Parts of it were much thicker than other areas.

Oh well. This is a fixer-upper starter home for them - and I do mean fixer-upper. They/we have already increased the appraised value by about $50,000 since they bought it 2 years ago.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

its actually very easy to spray if you have the sprayer. the only real trick to it is to get it even and by the sounds of things whoever sprayed it didnt know what he was doing going over and over it to get it right and failed and gave up. ive done a few jobs but mostly just matching up after a reno/restortation.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Dr Hicks, You are a nice Dad
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Were you able to take it off in big sheets with a putty knife? It is nice when you can. If it has been painted I have had to use paint scraper and scrape the entire ceiling. Not fun!!!!!!!!
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 780

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Long time ago I worked at a place that had popcorn ceilings everywhere. The boss decided we needed to patch the many blemishes that had cropped over the years and ordered a case of aerosol popcorn patch in a can. This stuff was pure comedy. The entire can would discharge explosively in about 3 seconds making a six sided mess of the room not to mention me. We ended up removing it in the end.
PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,290

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Hope you were careful since it could have contained asbestos.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Long time ago I worked at a place that had popcorn ceilings everywhere. The boss decided we needed to patch the many blemishes that had cropped over the years and ordered a case of aerosol popcorn patch in a can. This stuff was pure comedy. The entire can would discharge explosively in about 3 seconds making a six sided mess of the room not to mention me. We ended up removing it in the end.
I love those popcorn ceiling repair cans.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Some Joe Handyman must have recommended to the PO of my house to do a popcorn ceiling in the kitchen when she had him put in a new countertop a few years ago. Nice plaster ceilings in the whole house and he covers the kitchen in that crap. I took the opportunity to scrape that crap off as well when I just redid my kitchen. I can't stand the stuff.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Blues Hockey Fan

Rewards Points: 75

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

I hate popcorn ceilings.
I had to patch a 3-4 ft. strip along the ceiling edge in the bathroom in our old house that was flaking off over the drywall tape.

I didn't use the spray can. I used the pre-made mix.

Sucked.
cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Dr Hicks, You are a nice Dad
Thank you. And believe me, there were a lot of times during their growing years, that our 3 kids thought I was anything but nice!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #14

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

You know if they tell you once a month that they hate you, you are doing a good job
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Popcorn Ceiling Rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
You know if they tell you once a month that they hate you, you are doing a good job
Pretty much. My wife & I decided that we weren't going to raise kids - we were going to raise adults. We didn't plan to be their best friends, but their parents. And boy oh boy, was there ever some head-knocking through the years! But, they're now all in their 20s, happily married, gainfully employed, and good & helpful people. ...and their now our friends.

Life is good!

Advertisement