Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Share |
Default

Popcorn ceiling


I just finished removing all my wallpaper and decided that I want the popcorn ceiling removed as well. When I went to a home improvement store to get a scraper and the guy tells me it maybe more trouble than its worth. He starts telling me about the mess it makes, sanding the ceiling, the equipment needed and that the ceiling may not come smooth completely. This is so not why I went that store to get talked out of a project! I don't mind hard work and elbow grease I just need a little advice from some ppl who have removed texture before and hear about their experience. I have the scrapper, tape, eye protection, plastics tarp, mask, water pump and floor covering. I plan on just paint the ceiling once the texture is gone.

Sent from my iPhone

ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,876
Default

Popcorn ceiling


It will be one of the most worth while improvements you can make.
Not quite as simple as just scrapping it off and painting.
Once it's off most often you'll find where they only did one coat of mud and tape so It's just a matter of doing what ever it takes to get the seams flat.
No amount of paint will fix flaws!

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It will be one of the most worth while improvements you can make.
Not quite as simple as just scrapping it off and painting.
Once it's off most often you'll find where they only did one coat of mud and tape so It's just a matter of doing what ever it takes to get the seams flat.
No amount of paint will fix flaws!
What does getting the seams flat entail? Sanding?
ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,876
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Nope, going over it with an 8" wide drywall knife with thined drywall compound.
Apply one thin coat, let it dry, wipe over it with the knife to knock off the high spots, brush with a broom to get the dust off. Go over it again, let it dry.
Now sand the whole ceiling with a sanding pad on a sand pole with screen cloth.
There sold in the drywall area in any box store.
If you can feel a flaw it will show when primed.
Once sanded wipe it down to get the dust off, prime and two coats of ceiling paint.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,236
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwin View Post
I just finished removing all my wallpaper and decided that I want the popcorn ceiling removed as well. When I went to a home improvement store to get a scraper and the guy tells me it maybe more trouble than its worth. He starts telling me about the mess it makes, sanding the ceiling, the equipment needed and that the ceiling may not come smooth completely. This is so not why I went that store to get talked out of a project! I don't mind hard work and elbow grease I just need a little advice from some ppl who have removed texture before and hear about their experience. I have the scrapper, tape, eye protection, plastics tarp, mask, water pump and floor covering. I plan on just paint the ceiling once the texture is gone.

Sent from my iPhone
OK first remove anything you can from the room. The one thing the guy was right about is it's messy. Anything that can't be removed needs covered including the floor. Get a pump up vegetable sprayer (a spray bottle just isn"t big enough) fill with water, add about a cup of fabric softener and spray the ceiling, just wet not dripping. Let set about 10 minutes then do it again. Then with a 6" drywall taping knife, nothing bigger, start scrapping. Should come off easy, hold the knife at a pretty good angle so you don't tear the paper on the drywall. Let dry, skim coat any gouges or rough places with ultra light mud, sand. Prime with Gardz sealer, may need to touch up and spot sand again, if so prime again, paint. One thing to mention if you have a ceiling light take it down put wire nuts on the wires and cover with tape. Remember water and sparky don't play well together. In fact just throw the breaker.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Nope, going over it with an 8" wide drywall knife with thined drywall compound.
Apply one thin coat, let it dry, wipe over it with the knife to knock off the high spots, brush with a broom to get the dust off. Go over it again, let it dry.
Now sand the whole ceiling with a sanding pad on a sand pole with screen cloth.
There sold in the drywall area in any box store.
If you can feel a flaw it will show when primed.
Once sanded wipe it down to get the dust off, prime and two coats of ceiling paint.
That actually does sound bad. I'm in no rush I just want to do it right.
ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
OK first remove anything you can from the room. The one thing the guy was right about is it's messy. Anything that can't be removed needs covered including the floor. Get a pump up vegetable sprayer (a spray bottle just isn"t big enough) fill with water, add about a cup of fabric softener and spray the ceiling, just wet not dripping. Let set about 10 minutes then do it again. Then with a 6" drywall taping knife, nothing bigger, start scrapping. Should come off easy, hold the knife at a pretty good angle so you don't tear the paper on the drywall. Let dry, skim coat any gouges or rough places with ultra light mud, sand. Prime with Gardz sealer, may need to touch up and spot sand again, if so prime again, paint. One thing to mention if you have a ceiling light take it down put wire nuts on the wires and cover with tape. Remember water and sparky don't play well together. In fact just throw the breaker.
It's a small 12 x 10 bathroom so that's not bad
ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Nope, going over it with an 8" wide drywall knife with thined drywall compound.
Apply one thin coat, let it dry, wipe over it with the knife to knock off the high spots, brush with a broom to get the dust off. Go over it again, let it dry.
Now sand the whole ceiling with a sanding pad on a sand pole with screen cloth.
There sold in the drywall area in any box store.
If you can feel a flaw it will show when primed.
Once sanded wipe it down to get the dust off, prime and two coats of ceiling paint.
I meant that doesn't sound bad. Just takes time & patience.
ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,876
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Rule #1 in DIY repairs never take advice from a box store!
If they knew how to do it they would be.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Deck Staining Pro
 
bigchaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 74
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
OK first remove anything you can from the room. The one thing the guy was right about is it's messy. Anything that can't be removed needs covered including the floor. Get a pump up vegetable sprayer (a spray bottle just isn"t big enough) fill with water, add about a cup of fabric softener and spray the ceiling, just wet not dripping. Let set about 10 minutes then do it again. Then with a 6" drywall taping knife, nothing bigger, start scrapping. Should come off easy, hold the knife at a pretty good angle so you don't tear the paper on the drywall. Let dry, skim coat any gouges or rough places with ultra light mud, sand. Prime with Gardz sealer, may need to touch up and spot sand again, if so prime again, paint. One thing to mention if you have a ceiling light take it down put wire nuts on the wires and cover with tape. Remember water and sparky don't play well together. In fact just throw the breaker.
This is the procedure I used in my bathroom and it worked great. You can tell by trying a small area if it will come off easy. In my case the popcorn was never painted which helps and the ceiling underneath was not prepped well so the popcorn fell off easy
__________________
Charlie Soden
Apex DeckSavers
NC Deck Powerwashing, Deck Cleaning and Staining
"Bringing New life to Old Wood"
bigchaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigchaz For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Depending on the age of the ceiling, you may want to get it tested for asbestos before removing it. Popcorn ceilings installed before about 1980 often have asbestos. Our house was built in 1976, and I thought there was no way it had asbestos, but when we had it tested it did. I'm glad I didn't just go nuts removing it without testing it. My kids would have probably been eating the stuff.
rchorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Quote:
Originally Posted by rchorse
Depending on the age of the ceiling, you may want to get it tested for asbestos before removing it. Popcorn ceilings installed before about 1980 often have asbestos. Our house was built in 1976, and I thought there was no way it had asbestos, but when we had it tested it did. I'm glad I didn't just go nuts removing it without testing it. My kids would have probably been eating the stuff.
It was built in 89 so I think I'm good there
ttwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,839
Default

Popcorn ceiling


#2 rule in DIY....it's going to be a mess.....

But that's ok....the end result is worth it....

We scraped off the pop corn in our living room...it was put up to hide the 1/4" cracks....we then put up 1/4" sheets of drywall and then covered that with ceiling paper (my wife is English...it's an English thing).

In retrospect, I wish I had just taped and patched the cracks and let the ceiling paper cover up any inperfections.

I suspect that in about 5 years after ALL the other projects are done, I'll rip down the 1/4" drywall, patch the cracks and put up more ceiling paper.
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Popcorn ceiling


It's worth having it tested for asbestos as you never know. Asbestos was banned from this kind of ceiling treatment in the late 70's but the ban didn't include existing materials and these were still used through the 80's.
Then all you need is a spray bottle of water and a ton of patience
KenWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,236
Default

Popcorn ceiling


Just my opinion but I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of having it tested. You are going to wet it down twice there will be no dust. When you are finished it will be wrapped in plastic. I am not telling you not to do it I"m just saying what I would do.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question re. painting walls & ceiling with smooth trim alongside popcorn ceiling *pic starrysim Painting 17 07-29-2012 09:02 AM
Best roller to use with B-I-N on Popcorn Ceiling? AlaskaChick Painting 12 07-01-2012 10:38 AM
Popcorn ceiling removal and retexturing lexter_wolf General DIY Discussions 2 05-09-2008 05:51 PM
popcorn ceiling removal and retexturing lexter_wolf Carpentry 1 05-09-2008 07:07 AM
Question about popcorn ceiling J187 Building & Construction 4 06-30-2006 01:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.