DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pool Surround Drainage Questions

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  compareman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, my wife and I have been dedicating one main improvement project per year for our backyard for the past couple years. The most recent is having a new retaining wall and slab built in my back yard. It's about 8' wide x 40' long. The wall will be 4.5' high.

I live in a typical track home here in SoCal and a corner lot at that. What we're doing is creating additional deck/patio space for chairs and what-not to the back side of our pool. When the lot was built no drainage to the street was established, so it's too late and way too costly to consider that with all the concrete to go under and neighbors yards to go through, so forget that. What I need to come up with is a way for the winter rains to drain off rather than collecting and being trapped on the new slab. If there's no drainage the the new area could fill very quickly.

I'm simply looking for a non ultra expensive way for drainage in back of the wall and the slab. The soil here is very sandy and rocky, so great for drainage. I've never experienced a problem with drainage on my property anywhere.

Here's what I found on local rainfall:

"The annual average precipitation at Rancho Cucamonga is 14.77 Inches. Rainfall in is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year. The wettest month of the year is January with an average rainfall of 3.50 Inches."

"Rainfall in the City averages four inches of rain per year. However the term “average rainfall” is misleading because over the recorded history of rainfall in the City of Rancho Cucamonga rainfall amounts have ranged from almost no rain at all in some years to 26 inches in very wet years."

Will a channel grate work on the slab?
Can it drain straight down and into say aggregate?
Will horizontal perforated pipe dropping into aggregate work in back of the wall?
How deep should the aggregate be in both cases?
Since the pool is about 8-9 feet away and the great soil we have should I have to worry about any sub corrosion around the shell of the gunite pool?

Other ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks for any help.
Tony

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi, I am a newbie to this site, however i have been a bulder all my life, and the only propor way is to dig out the soil along the wall and fit a bitumous membrane all the way along , or for keeping costs down heavy duty plastic

Then i would source some second hand rainwater gutter 4" half round or larger will do and lay this about 3-4" below the soil surface and then you can e just shingle along with 22mm stone(french Drain) the water will naturally run along the trench of gutter to your catchment device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.