Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Y2K

Share |

Pool spill-over wall repair

Hi all,

I need some advice on repairing my crumbling (ugly) spillover wall in my pool. The wall separates the spa and the main pool. I had this problem (although not to this extend) a few years back when tiles were falling off and some small cracks appearing and even though I am not a stranger to concrete/tiling DIY work I decided that it is better to leave it to professionals in this case. So I hired a pool company to do the "professional" repair for me. They cut off the top two inches of the wall off (basically to make it flat) then re-built the concrete and tiled over it. It looked really good for one season! I was very careful about maintaining chemistry in the pool and I made sure that my water level is below the tile line during winter (as I always do) since it can get really cold in MA. As you can see from the pictures below, now two years later all the work that they did fell apart and now it is actually worse than it was before because since they cut a big chunk of old concrete off and the new concrete they poured did not attach well, the damage is more extensive. I tried contacting the contractor several times with no success and honestly at this point I don't want to deal with them anyways so I would like to attempt to repair it myself. I really do not think I can do any worse then what they did so I am ready and willing The wall length is about 9 1/2 feet. Some questions I have before I jump right in:

1) After removing all loose and cracked concrete, I am planing on building a form to put on top of the wall so I can re-pour the top and re-build the spillover. What concrete mixture I need to use for this application? What is the best way to make sure the newly poured concrete attaches well to the existing foundation? How long to let it cure before tiling?

2) After concrete is cured, what is recommended thinset to set the tiles on? Same question about grout? Do I need to seal it?

3) The problem area usually starts around the spillover opening so instead of using tiles, I am planing on using something larger to minimize the grout lines. Any recommendations on what to use?

4) Any other advice from someone who attempted such repairs? Any gotchas? Any alternative way to address this issue instead of rebuilding it the same way it was (removing the wall completely is cost prohibitive for me but maybe other options)? I would appreciate any feedback.

This is what it looked like when it was ok:

And this is what it looks like now. Pool side view:

Spa side view:

Top view:

Thanks.

Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You can't do until you drain the level down enough. Since they use Plaster on pool walls, it would be best to talk to local pool companies, and get a few estimates. Bad thing is, it will leave the pool out of commission for at least a week, then another to get it back up and ready, so you are talking two weeks downtime.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Y2K

Thanks. Draining part and downtime is not an issue. I can drain the spa side completely and I can drop the main pool water level a foot or so below the tile line. I am also planning on removing the previous company "handy work". Some of it is already coming off just by hand (you can see where their pour is separating from the old concrete) and I will chisel all other loose or hollow areas as well as remove existing tiles. After that I can put a form up to poor the top back. And that's where I have questions. I am not sure what concrete is appropriate for this kind of work. It needs to bond well to the existing old concrete and be structurally sound. I did get a couple of estimates and one guy was going to use portland cement mix and the other guy wanted to use hydraulic cement. I worked with hydraulic cement before when I was repairing some large cracks and it held up well, but it was not in the pool and I am not sure if this would be a correct application. I know it dries fast, but I also know it expands when dries so I wonder if this is the right material for this job. If I figure out the right cement to use as well as the right thinset/grout for the tiles - the job itself is pretty straight forward I think. Just hoping someone with experience can help with advice.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If it is that bad, I would probably look at going with a liner, since who knows how much longer the well will hold water, until it really haves problems. Do you know how old this pool & its infrastructure is?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Y2K

Thanks again for your reply. The pool is actually in great shape and the only problem is that damn wall. The pool was built sometimes in late 1980s I believe (I am a second owner and bought a house in 2003). I know that it has been re-plastered sometimes around 2000 or so. The plaster and the rest of the pool is fine, but that wall is giving me a headache. I believe the recent issue is simply because the previous company did a really bad job fixing it last time - the mixture they used was bad. Also, only the 2 - 3 inches on the top of the wall are the ones that have cracks. The rest of the wall is sound and there are no other cracks or issues. I am not sure if liner is an option since it is a free-form pool and one side is higher than the other. I considered removing the wall completely but it would leave a large gunite patch that would not match the rest of the pool. I will probably do this when I will be re-plastering the pool which will probably need to be done in 5 - 6 years or so.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

I'm finding it strange that the divider wall is the only part that's crumbling. Maybe during the original build that area wasn't actually a spa, but a walk-in access area, and the spa and divider wall was added later? It could explain the weak point there, if it was poured concrete instead of gunite.

IMO you need this area repaired with gunite, not poured concrete or shotcrete, but actual gunite (meaning concrete is shot in under high pressure & dry, water doesn't hit the dry-mix until at the surface). Then you can plaster and tile DIY if you're into that kind of work.

Last edited by pucks101; 06-15-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Thanks again for your reply. The pool is actually in great shape and the only problem is that damn wall. The pool was built sometimes in late 1980s I believe (I am a second owner and bought a house in 2003). I know that it has been re-plastered sometimes around 2000 or so. The plaster and the rest of the pool is fine, but that wall is giving me a headache. I believe the recent issue is simply because the previous company did a really bad job fixing it last time - the mixture they used was bad. Also, only the 2 - 3 inches on the top of the wall are the ones that have cracks. The rest of the wall is sound and there are no other cracks or issues. I am not sure if liner is an option since it is a free-form pool and one side is higher than the other. I considered removing the wall completely but it would leave a large gunite patch that would not match the rest of the pool. I will probably do this when I will be re-plastering the pool which will probably need to be done in 5 - 6 years or so.

Did they marcite the patch they did on the wall? or apply tile over the patch,and how wide are your grout lines??
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to AcaiBerry

I am very appreciated
AcaiBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaiBerry View Post
I am very appreciated
I wish I was