Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #1

Share |

Pool liner installation??

Our house has an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. Its served us well for the past 10 years, but I'm afraid this is going to be the last season for it.

Has anyone ever changed out one of these liners ? Is it a DIY job? I've done a little on-line research, and it seems pretty straightforward, but I don't want to get in over my head. I should mention that there is a set of fiberglass steps involved as well.

Seems like I could save a nice chunk of $$ by doing it myself, but if I were to screw something up, I'd probably spend all that I saved plus some getting it straightend out

Any thoughts?

elscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

If it was up to me, I would have the Pool place that I purchased the liner from locally do it. That way, if they tear it, or screw up the job, they will have to fix it and you do not have to go out and get a 2nd one.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If it was up to me, I would have the Pool place that I purchased the liner from locally do it. That way, if they tear it, or screw up the job, they will have to fix it and you do not have to go out and get a 2nd one.
I second that. Sure it's not rocket science, but it's not as easy as relineng a 12' above ground. Besides the man handling of a much bigger liner, and the potential for wrinkles, you have many more penetrations to deal with. Instead of just one skimmer to contend with, you probably have two skimmers, a bottom drain, two or three return lines, and possibly a light. Not worth the aggravation or risk IMO.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Point taken. I talked to my pool guy this weekend, and he had a miscut liner on his truck-and he does it for a living!!

I think the bottom line is that there are some jobs that are worth the added expense of a professional install, and this is one of them!!

Thanks for chiming in!!
elscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote