Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

A Pool Leak - What to Do Now?

I just posted a question in a reply to an ongoing discussion in my thread regarding a pool issue
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/installing-pool-system-new-v-used-121146/

We've discovered a pool leak probably located in the skimmer.

I have a couple of questions the DIY Chatroom I'm certain given the expertise around here are likely able to help answer:

1. Why do pool leaks generally occur in the skimmer?
2. What can I expect to happen in resolving this issue?
3. What questions shall I ask anyone who might be hired to fix this item?

I suspect this job shall likely involve some concrete removal, etc. I'm thinking of redoing my deck, so maybe the leak is something I should fix now but hold off on some of the cosmetic work, etc.? Are there things I might delay repairing that I should instruct the repairmen not to do in light of a possible deck job?

Many thanks for all your good advice!
Have a great day.

FlowerChick

flowerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

make sure you actually ARE leaking water- and not just a quirk with the pump, etc, as I ran into this a while ago. I hired a local pool leak detection expert, and they will find the leak for a pricey $250 or so.So make sure first! Ended up my leak TOTALLY dissappeared after about a day or 2!! I cancelled his appointment, of course- no harm done. But just goes to show you the quirks of stinkin pool maintenence.

IF you have a leak, they will usyually quote you a repair estimate. Then you decide. Welcome to the world of "money pit" pool maintenence. Im actually thinking of converting mine to a Tilapia production "pond".........

Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #3

Well, if the water line dtopped about a foot over night, wouldn't that evidence a leak? Plus I re-filled again last night, turned off the filter and this morning, the level is back down again to the skimmer level without the pump on overnight. How could the pump effectuate a leak? I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Can you be a little more specific? Thanks.

Talapia...sounds good.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Does the water level always stop dropping at the same level? Have you left it to see how for it will fall? Meaning the level will continue to drop till it's past the lowest point in leak/ hole. So what I'm saying is at the point were the water level quits dropping the area just above that is you leak. Could be in skimmer are anywhere within the circumference of pools water line. If it's leaking a foot over night a hole that big couldn't be hard to locate. Start by looking for soggy ground.

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

I just read your pervious post, if you can find the leak in the shimmer and you can put your eyes on it, they make many different epoxy compound that I'm positive you can fine one that is tolerable to the high chlorine levels of a swimming pool. You can ask your pool guy but I wouldn't expect much from him on cheap fixes. If not epoxy maybe a fiberglass patch or JBweld. Either less then $50. If they don't last forever maybe at least till thing are better. We Can't Wait Vote Hussein Out.

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #6

Cool

I had a plumber visit for another job I'm tackling and had him take a peek at my pool, and here's what we discovered. I have copper pipes in my pool equipment. Seems a little odd to me but this was a pool built around the 1950s, may be an Anthony Pool. I'll know more today when he does some leak testing and we dig up the area around the return lines to be certain.

The pool guy I hired to clean up the algae last week put a combination of chlorine and muric acid into the pool to clean up the algae, and the plumber is guessing that the dilution of these chemicals, namely the muric acid loosened up some areas in the return lines and ate a hole large enough to cause water loss of well over a foot of water overnight in my approx 45,000 gal pool.... does this sound plausible?

Keep in mind my water level sat quite full for the last five months and the only thing that changed overnight was a that pool guy came to my pool, turned on the filters and dropped some chemicals into the pool to clean up the dark algae. My filters were still coming on overnight automatically but the water was not actually circulating through the system for a few months since there was no pressure. So he was able to get the system circulating some water while the pool was still full for a time, but overnight the water level mysteriously dropped well over a foot of water. The next day when I was able to refill the pool at least up over the return level, it dropped back down overnight to a level below the return lines.

The mystery continues but I hope to have more info today when we get to digging and a plumber does some investigative work...

Last edited by flowerchick; 11-01-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #7

Chlorine and muiriatic acid being two of the most common chemicals used in pools will react over time and cause wear. The bigger problem in pools is the total alkalinity level getting too low. This will cause sever corrosion of all metals in a pool environment. I doubt that the muriatic acid ate thru the pipes over night. At the dilution level that was in the pool It would be fairly mild if at all detectable. I would suspect that over the years normal wear and scour on the pipes as well as the total alkalinity being off (low) caused some thin spots in the piping. Re-starting the filter may have caused some undue strain that fractured an already weak spot in the plumbing. Muriatic, Muric, Hydrochloric acid, all the same, is used to clean copper and brass in diluted concentrations. That being said, it can over time erode the surface if the concentration is high enough. Copper, while not the best material for pools is still used in heaters quite often. this summer I had to repair two heat exchangers due to leaks. In both pools I found the water chemistry to be way off. Once the total alkalinity was adjusted the likelyhood of leaks ended as well as the pools were much clearer and easier to keep clean.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, flowerchick, pool leak, skimmer