Polishing Brass - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Polishing Brass

Hi folks,
I'm attempting to polish up a 100 year old brass light fixture. It's solid brass. I've tried all the "over the counter" methods like brasso, etc...

I've even tried a chemical bath (muriatic acid) and then buffing it on my buffer. I used brown tripoli to start. It's working amazingly where the brass is good however there are "Pitts" I just can't get out. I use the term Pitt loosely. It's not actual cavities in the metal but more so little red oxidation spots. I just can't seem to get rid of them thru polishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these? My next thought was to try a very high grit wet sandpaper and sand it out then re polish on the buffer. I'm reluctant to do this though as I don't want to scratch the metal.

Any input is mucho appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Al C

Advertisement

lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Polishing Brass

Doubt that it is solid brass. Most likely plated brass. If Brasso, Baking soda paste is not working, then it is not brass. Post some pictures of the fixture. If it was solid brass, it would be really heavy, and would have a bolt at the top, that is used to secure it to a support beam above the ceiling, when put in place.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,266

Polishing Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestooshort81 View Post
...however there are "Pitts" I just can't get out.
I use the term Pitt loosely. It's not actual cavities in the metal but more so little red oxidation spots. I just can't seem to get rid of them thru polishing.
A picture would help.

I've never needed anything stronger than the automotive type of
white polishing compound for the brass items I've had (beds, lamps, etc).
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Jack of all Trades

Rewards Points: 77

Polishing Brass

It's definitely solid brass. Light fixtures from this vintage did not plate. It's also soft and I deformed a small corner in polishing.

The picture doesn't do justice but see attached. I forgot its really easy to attach pics here. The truck forum I'm on doesn't make picture posting an easy task!

The spots you see are what im talking about pre-polish. Once polished they come out with a hint of red to them. it's not clear coated or anything (as one might assume its oxidation under the clear coat) it's part of the metal itself. Maybe I just need to polish more and more or use a heavier grit polish?

Thanks again.

Polishing Brass-image-692208609.jpg
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 626

Polishing Brass

Hmm in the navy we used never dull it it works great and way better than brasso. my last few years in the navy we would smuggle in mothers California gold metal polish now that stuff out does everything!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Polishing Brass

Brass is not going to be so soft, that it will warp or bend while polishing. Plating they did a hundred years ago. Again, if it is solid brass, it will be very heavy. Electroplating has been around as long as there has been the ability to create electricity. Electrochemistry which was used in the late 18th century.

Modern electrochemistry was invented by Italian chemist Luigi V. Brugnatelli in 1805. Brugnatelli used his colleague Alessandro Volta's invention of five years earlier, the voltaic pile, to facilitate the first electrodeposition. Brugnatelli's inventions were suppressed by the French Academy of Sciences and did not become used in general industry for the following thirty years.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Polishing Brass

What you have is plated Brass coating on tin. If it was real brass, there would not be any chips in the coating like that. Also placing in Muratic acid is bad for any metal, because if you do it wrong, it will eat and damage the metal worse than just leaving it as is.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 592

Polishing Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestooshort81 View Post
It's definitely solid brass. Light fixtures from this vintage did not plate. It's also soft and I deformed a small corner in polishing.

The picture doesn't do justice but see attached. I forgot its really easy to attach pics here. The truck forum I'm on doesn't make picture posting an easy task!

The spots you see are what im talking about pre-polish. Once polished they come out with a hint of red to them. it's not clear coated or anything (as one might assume its oxidation under the clear coat) it's part of the metal itself. Maybe I just need to polish more and more or use a heavier grit polish?

Thanks again.

Attachment 72180
Have you tried Noxon? it's my favorite polish.

apply and use a very soft toothbrush to polish it,
rubbing gently; then rinse thoroughly.

Except for silver ( not recommended for silver) it works
great on copper, stainless steel, brass,
aluminum, chrome, pewter, bronze and copper...

I polish my stainless steel sink with Noxon about once a month
and it comes brand new.

good luck, hope it works, keep us posted.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Polishing Brass

ketchup works great on brass
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Polishing Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
ketchup works great on brass
So does Salsa, kool-aid, citric acid, cocktail sauce, vinegar. Anything with a acid base in it, will work. Toothpaste like Tom's of Maine will also work. We used it to clean up some old swords that my wife's grandmother had, that were her deceased spouse, that was a Captain in the Darby's Rangers, during WWII.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Polishing Brass

And potatos work great on silver. Or just use the water after you cook them,
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Polishing Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
And potatos work great on silver. Or just use the water after you cook them,
Amazing what Arsenic & starch does for Silver, isn't it. Of course, hope that you are not going to be using that by product for another dish.

There is a lot of old ways of doing stuff, that people forget about, that our grand & great/great-great grandparents used.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #13

Polishing Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Amazing what Arsenic & starch does for Silver, isn't it. Of course, hope that you are not going to be using that by product for another dish.

There is a lot of old ways of doing stuff, that people forget about, that our grand & great/great-great grandparents used.
That may explain the demise of Mr Creeper. I mean the disappearance. I mean the departure.
Nevermind

Ya ..all my silver stuff looks great..
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,212

Polishing Brass

I was admiring a well polished old kerosene automobile lamp in an antique shop. I asked how he polished all the tight joints so well--

His 'secret?'--replating---he sent the thing to a brass plater ---looked good.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 780

Polishing Brass

When I was a kid I had a chemistry set and one of the chemicals was copper sulfate. This was used as the medium for copper plating with a 6V battery. Wonder what chemical would be needed to do brass plating.

Advertisement