Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Share |

Plumbing into my meter..

Hey everyone, my first time here. That's right I'm a newbie! I'm going to be replacing the plumbing from my meter to the house " yuck " currently it is underground from the meter to approx middle of the house. Is it necessary to dig a trench under my house and keep the new plumbing buried all the way to the middle of the house or can I leave it above ground once I get under the house? Thanks

Lynchmob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #2

Plumbing into my meter..

Do you have a basement? slab? crawlspace? What is your location? The pipe can certainly come into the basement through the wall. I am assuming you have crawlspace. If freezing is not an issue in your region then I don't see why it needs to be buried under the house.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Plumbing into my meter..

There are plumbing codes that will dictate what you do and how you do it. You should be familiar with these before picking up any tool.
It will help if you post where you are located. Plumbing in Florida will be different then plumbing in North Dakota.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Thurman (10-09-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

Plumbing into my meter..

Im located in southeastern Oklahoma where our winters are very unpredictable! We may go from sunny sky's with no snow for 3 weeks to freezing rain and no power for 3 weeks! And as far as any city ordinance codes I will not have to comply. And yes I have crawlspace limited but still crawlspace.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #5

Plumbing into my meter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob1 View Post
Im located in southeastern Oklahoma where our winters are very unpredictable! We may go from sunny sky's with no snow for 3 weeks to freezing rain and no power for 3 weeks! And as far as any city ordinance codes I will not have to comply. And yes I have crawlspace limited but still crawlspace.
You are not getting the point. The pipes can't be subjected to freezing temperatures or they will break. So if you decide you will not comply with the code that says, put the pipes 36" (or whatever the depth is)underground they will freeze.
The codes are there for a safe and competant install. Follow them or not. It's not my house.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #6

Plumbing into my meter..

No I DO get the point but I'm asking guy o guy here if it's necessary to keep the plumbing under ground once it is under the house. None of the plumbing that goes from my front bathroom, hot water tank, kitchen, 2nd bathroom, 3rd bathroom and so on,,,, is under ground it's just hanging under the house.. So what would the difference be if the main line came up out of the ground after it reaches the point that it is under the house! That's all I'm asking.. It just wouldn't make since to dig a trench 20ft under the house to the existing and non buried plumbing..
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #7

Plumbing into my meter..

I'd install the new main at the same depth as the old main.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Stuck in the 70's

Plumbing into my meter..

Quote:
... And as far as any city ordinance codes I will not have to comply.
I admit I'm a relative newbie to DIY stuff, not to mention blonde, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've lived in rural Texas, rural south central Oklahoma, and now rural Missouri where people tend to think they can do whatever they want. My understanding is even if you have no required city permits or inspections, there are state codes that need to be met.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #9

Plumbing into my meter..

I understand and can meet all codes needed. I'm correctly plumbing from the meter to the house. I was just trying to figure out why i or if I should lay on my stomach with 1 1/2 ft of room to move between the ground and the floor of the house and dig a 18" deep and 20ft long trench to lay pipe in. I was looking for some suggestions and a little input.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Plumbing into my meter..

Can't answer your question, but my main line comes under the foundation, into the crawl space and lays on the ground until it hits the water heater.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

Plumbing into my meter..

Thanks jbfan, I think I'm gonna just bring it back up outta the ground once it reaches under the house and then run it along the subframe of the floor to the hot water heater.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #12

Plumbing into my meter..

Thanks jbfan, I think I'm gonna just bring it back up outta the ground once it reaches under the house and then run it along the subframe of the floor to the hot water heater.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #13

Plumbing into my meter..

If you're asking if you have to trench in your crawlspace, I'd say no. Never seen that before.

Just make sure that it's deep enough outside and when you bring it up in the crawlspace, keep it far enough away from the foundation wall so that it doesn't freeze.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #14

Plumbing into my meter..

Quote:
Hey everyone, my first time here. That's right I'm a newbie! I'm going to be replacing the plumbing from my meter to the house " yuck " currently it is underground from the meter to approx middle of the house. Is it necessary to dig a trench under my house and keep the new plumbing buried all the way to the middle of the house or can I leave it above ground once I get under the house? Thanks
Why exactly are you doing this? Just curious. Do you have some problem?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #15

Plumbing into my meter..

IF the line is not subject to freezing then I see no problem with what you are planning.