Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Plumbers apprentice

Disclaimer: I apologize if this is not the correct forum to post this message. This is my first of possibly many. I have no plumbing experience what so ever.

I'm 28 and tired of working low paying dead end jobs. Money dictates what i do and have so naturally i don't do much or have much. I am ready to commit to a career doing something real. I want certain things out of life and i need a certain income to get them. A co-worker recently told me her husband is a plumbing apprentice and on his way to journeyman and his pay is 25-30 an hour and goes up more when he becomes journeyman. He signed up through this program. http://www.abcalaska.org/ Im kinda done being picky about what i want to do and am ready to just dive in and go for this. does anyone have any advice before i get into this and also does this involve math? If so I'm gonna need to brush up. Thanks in advance.

spacemonkey907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Plumbers apprentice

yes, it involves math. Most, if not all of the general trades require math. I know when I took my apprenticeship to be an electrician, we had to take a trig course before regular classes started.

you might also look at the plumbers union as well. Not trying to bash ABC but everybody I know that went via ABC just doesn't have the same training as us union guys. In electrical, ABC was really good teaching code (which is important) but not nearly as much theory as the union apprenticeship. With theory, you understand why what does what. Using that and a brain, you can figure out anything.

With the union, you also can travel from local to local and work in any state in the country. Your benefits will continue on since they are through the union. With ABC, you work for the contractor and whatever bene's he provides it what he provides. When you go to another contractor, you start all over.

and to anybody reading this; I really don't want to get into a us v. them. Just trying to give the guy as much info as I can, both sides. and yes, it does sound like I am pro union but that is only because I am. I have a great belief in the union systems and what they provide for their members.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote