Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Plumber didn't pull permits and work is not to code...what now?

I recently had a licensed (still active I checked) plumber install a shower in our basement bathroom. I asked him before starting the work if he would pull the permits or should I? He stated that he would pull the permits as they fall under his license. After completing the shower, I asked if the city had signed off on the installation and I could continue with the rest of the renovation work. He then said he wasn't aware that he was going to pull the permit, but if he had said this it was his mistake and he would pull the permit. However, he advised me that the city might not sign off on the work since the shower does not have a 24 inch clearance to the sink. I have already paid him in full, and I am not sure what to do. If I make him pull the permits the city wont sign off and it will cost me more money, and I don't know how you would remedy the situation. Please help with any advice. I live in Minnesota if that matters.

TwistedCubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
he advised me that the city might not sign off on the work since the shower does not have a 24 inch clearance to the sink.
Then why didnt HE make it so it DOES have the right clearance in the first place??
How far off the minimum is the measurement now?

Just wondering, do you really think the city is going to come out and MEASURE your shower to sink clearances? Once you go for a permit now, you've let a nasty cat out of the bag, if that all has to be torn out and redone and the plumber is gone with the money, moved, bankrupt, or claims YOU were supposed to get the permits.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
joecaption (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

If that measurement doesn't bother you I wouldn't worry about it. UNLESS you are having more work done and inspected, then the inspector may notice the new work and start asking questions. My question is why a licensed plumber would put so much on the line, as he could very well lose his license by not pulling the permit and by not doing the work to code. I could be totally wrong but it sounds like this guy is just telling everyone he is licensed.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

I can understand the permit part, but if you are a pro, how could you not do it to code?
frenchelectrican (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

I am not sure why he didn't install it to code, when he obviously knew it was an issue after the fact. Apparently code states that the shower must have a 24 inch clearance and the sink is 15 inches away. All the rest of the work was already done and inspected, just not the shower and the sheetrocking. I am curious what I should? Should I ask for some of my payment back? Should I report the plumber? Will I have any issues when selling my house?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

There is a big difference between a license (experience and background) and a legal code requirement. Even an amateur hack can meet the code as he long checks the requirement and does a reasonable job, but an experienced, licensed guy can just throw it in as easy, fast and cheap as possible if he does not care about responsibility.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Apparently code states that the shower must have a 24 inch clearance and the sink is 15 inches away.
Wow! you aren't talking about one inch or 1/2 inch here, that's a huge obvious difference of NINE inches, there's something just not right about this "licensed" plumber, unless you were not there at the time the obvious question is why didn't you notice it was that far off when he was working on this in the first place?
I can see not noticing an inch, MAYBE two off, but NINE??

Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Well as an average home owner, I was not aware that there was a 24 inch building code regulation. I assumed that the licensed plumber I hired would be aware of the issues and install the shower correctly. I was home the entire time of installation, so at any point he could have asked me, or made me aware of the regulation.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

What did the plummer say when you asked him why he didn't do the work to code?
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

How hard would it be to move the sink?
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCubic View Post
Well as an average home owner, I was not aware that there was a 24 inch building code regulation.
Ok, so you learned about that code later then.

Quote:
I assumed that the licensed plumber I hired would be aware of the issues and install the shower correctly.
Yep that's the problem right there, trusting and assuming the person called from an ad or yellow pages or other source is legit and all that, unfortunately hindsight is always so much clearer than foresight.

At this point I guess about your only option is contacting him and having him fix his screwup at his expense, or taking him to small claims court. It almost goes without saying that with it being nine inches off, there's no way that can be "fudged" that's a major defect that not only won't pass, but if you try to sell the home later with this, chances are prospective buyers will notice and that will be another item they will factor in the cost of having to correct or change, and that means $x comes off their offer- you'll be paying for this at that end then.

If it was just an inch or something like that, you could probably get by with it, but no way with nine inches.

Small claims court might be your best option in the end if you don't get satisfaction, you should be able to file for up to $5,000 or more depending on your state.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #12

How bout some pictures? I think there's more to the story.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
12penny (05-25-2013), Gymschu (05-24-2013), RWolff (05-25-2013), user1007 (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCubic View Post
Well as an average home owner, I was not aware that there was a 24 inch building code regulation. I assumed that the licensed plumber I hired would be aware of the issues and install the shower correctly. I was home the entire time of installation, so at any point he could have asked me, or made me aware of the regulation.
Who was in charge of the lay-out for the bathroom? Certainly not the plumber, unless it's one of those plumbing/architectural combination firms you hired..........

Is the plumber also in charge of framing the walls too close together so the shower didn't have the correct clearance? When you say "install correctly", did you expect that the plumber would install it outside of the bathroom walls so the clearance would be adequate.

As Mike said, there's a heck of alot more to this story than what we're hearing............
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Who was in charge of the lay-out for the bathroom? Certainly not the plumber, unless it's one of those plumbing/architectural combination firms you hired..........

Is the plumber also in charge of framing the walls too close together so the shower didn't have the correct clearance? When you say "install correctly", did you expect that the plumber would install it outside of the bathroom walls so the clearance would be adequate.

As Mike said, there's a heck of alot more to this story than what we're hearing............
Yes but was it not the plumber job to say I can't do this because of the code and it will need to be addressed so I can do it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #15

Actually there is not a lot more to the story. This is a basement bathroom, our second bathroom in the house. A bathroom used to exist in the exact spot, but was built I am assuming around the 70s. When we bought the house, we had permits pulled to do some work including installing the sink and toilet in that bathroom, however in the spot the shower was, we couldn't at the time afford to put it in, so we had the sewer and fixtures capped. Fast forward four years later, and we needed to install the corner shower in that location. So the plumber installed a 36 x 36 fiberglass shower in the corner, and did the framing. At no point did he mention an issue with the obstruction, until after I asked him about the permits. I don't think the sink can easily be moved with the layout of the bathroom.

Tags
building code, permit, plumbing