DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Please help identify this ...

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lilxjohnny 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've seen quite a few products as well as a lot steel work use this and I am trying to identify it and see if I can use it for a project of mine. Any ideas?

They look like they are rivets, but I am not sure what they are exactly called. Is there a tool that would like to apply this to hold a metal screen to a steel frame? I want to avoid using screws or welding.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I can't tell the size, but it looks like a Pop-rivet. You can buy the tool and the fasteners at Home Centers and hardware stores. These are used for joining two pieces of metal without welding or screws. You drill a hole, place the rivet in it, stick the tool over the end and squeeze the handles until it secures and "pops" the securing rod off.

#2 ·
You can buy grommets and grommet tools, but they're normally for use in tarps and canopies. It might work in screen, but I wouldn't risk my money on it! The grommets are crimped in place by the tool, no welding, no glue, etc. Grommets would not hold the screen to anything, but might facilitate attachment by wire or another means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.