Plastic Sheeting To Cover A Wall / Ceiling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Plastic Sheeting to cover a wall / ceiling

With the help of a friend I have framed and hung drywall for two new rooms in my basement. I have not hung the drywall on the backside of the wall, just the interior side.

Problem I have right now is my six year old daughter is afraid of how the basement ceiling and the exposed back wall looks. I intend to drywall the back wall and finish the ceiling but I am doing it piece by piece as I get the cash.

I am thinking of covering the backside of the walls with 6 mil plastic sheeting. I would either go with white sheeting or use clear and then add some cheap contact paper to give it some color. I would also like to do this to the ceiling as a short term fix.

Anyone have any experience with using sheeting as a temporary fix?

Advertisement

meowingthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

If the exposed studs are on the back side of the wall, why is it even being seen? And can't 6-year olds be reasoned with?

That said, you can hang about anything on the backside of that wall - including a big blue plastic tarp. But personally, I think that plastic looks "creepier" than bare studs.

Advertisement

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Kids are wonderful, arent' they - forever making you spin your gears. I have 4 - been there, done that!

When I was a child I developed different strange phobias of various things like plumbing pipes and so on - walk by some exposed gas meter lines or plumbing fixtures in a parking lot and I'd shake with fear. This actually suck with me for years. I got over most things just with time but it wasn't until I had to start doing work on my own house that I completely got over issues. Once I learned what things were - what they did - why they looked that way - I was fine.

But that wasn't easy - my husband was deployed and my toilet wouldn't stop running. I let it go for 2 months before I asked my Mom to help me fix it - like a total idiot - she was there with me when I sopped water out of the tank. I was actually petrified but she was proud that I finally got past it.

Obviously I'm over all that seeing as how I've replaced all the plumbing fixtures in the house - including having done work on the septic pipes that collapsed last year.

So with my kids I always explain things - everything - to my kids so they fully understand what things are and why it looks that way. It satisfies curiosity and settles any nerves and I always answer questions and sometimes have them help me with this and that so there are no mysteries in life or the walls.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 258

I agree with all the answers already given, but maybe your daughter could be commissioned to supply some artwork to cover the walls with.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

The problem lies, that if it becomes loose, and they are playing with it, they can suffocate if they trap their head inside of the sheathing.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
daveb1 (09-02-2011), DrHicks (09-02-2011)