Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Plaster Wall Cracks

I am preparing a bedroom for a new coat of pain and would like to fill a couple of hairline cracks in plaster walls. I have read that I need to open the crack and place new mesh tap/filler or I can use caulk. Any thoughts if using caulk is appropriate for small cracks?

Thanks,
Brandon

Galindob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Plaster Wall Cracks

If they are truly hairline cracks just filling them in with drywall compound should work. Fiberglass mesh tape was made for repairing cracks so that would be the next step up. You have to fill it in completely and blend it in.

If the cracks are deeper or you suspect more damage beyond the surface than you can see? Then you will want to use the tip of a sharper scraper to dig them out and fill them. I would use hot mud or real plaster for anything substantial.

Caulk would not be a material of choice for me as it does not level flat easily.

Be sure and prime all repairs and patches.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #3

Plaster Wall Cracks

If you use fiberglass tape, use fast drying mud. If using paper tape, regular compound will work.
All cracks need to be taped or they'll just reappear.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

Plaster Wall Cracks

This is the absolute best system for permanently repairing plaster walls. The first time I used this was about 14 years ago and not a crack has reappeared. I have since used it a couple of more times and it has worked just as well. No affiliation with the company but again have used the products and they work very well.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre...ionsystem.html
rjgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 14

Plaster Wall Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgogo View Post
This is the absolute best system for permanently repairing plaster walls. The first time I used this was about 14 years ago and not a crack has reappeared. I have since used it a couple of more times and it has worked just as well. No affiliation with the company but again have used the products and they work very well.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre...ionsystem.html

It certainly is a good product and I have used it also, but for a couple hailine cracks, it is a little much.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Plaster Wall Cracks

Vinyl Spackle works, along with the mesh tape.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote