Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Plaster over exterior weatherboard

I am considering options for improving the exterior cladding of my small weatherboard house.
My main objective is to reduce maintenance associated with painting and to improve the general aesthetics of the building. My approach may also add some insulation benefits...?

So, what I am proposing is to add vertical batons of wood directly on top of the weatherboards, on top of that put a layer of building paper followed by wire mesh and finally the colour tinted plaster.

I'm hoping that by having space between weatherboards and plaster layer from the batons will allow some air circulation / ventilation in the case of moisture penetration (and may give minor insulation advantage)

Is this (or similar) technique used? Is it not advised (if not, why) and what would be the main complications to consider?

I look forward to comments and feedback.

olmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #2

Not an expert, but this is what I know. Plaster is not for outside, use stucco. First, you need to be sure that whatever you are putting stucco on will hold the weight. Next you need a waterproof membrane, then metal lath. There are screens that can be installed over the membrane to allow some ventilation(aids moistrue drying). Traditional stucco consists of 2-3 layers with different materials. Newer techniques use only one layer but is not a weather proof.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

It sounds like you are trying to create a simple "rain screen" system. Not a bad idea with most finished, but I'm not so sure that stucco or plaster will hold up very well to abuse without solid backing behind it. At a minimum, I'd consider foam insulation infill between your battens/furring with Tyvek Drainwrap (or equivelent) over that. Even better would be a system like MTI's "Sure Cavity" dirictly behind the lath.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #4

I remember seeing stucco installed when I was a kid, (a long,long time ago)
The wall was 3/4" lap sheeting, covered with building paper! A expanded metal screen was nailed directly to this! No battens! The screen must be supported at all places.
Then, a rough coat of masonry cement was troweled onto the screen. It was scored all over before it set up, to give a tooth for the second coat!
The second coat was applied (very wet) then the stucco mix was thrown at the surface using a shovel. The excess fell off, and was reused.
Then the stucco was packed in with a trowel.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys, all of this will help me make my final decision about how (if) I go about this.

One other factor that might determine the best course of action is that of climate. We are located in northg canterbury, south island of New Zealand (around 42 degrees south) it is a temperate climate with mild frosts in winter, and almost all rain from the south (which is sheltered by plenty of trees)

Thanks again,
Olmec
olmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmec View Post
Thanks for the feedback and comments guys, all of this will help me make my final decision about how (if) I go about this.

One other factor that might determine the best course of action is that of climate. We are located in northg canterbury, south island of New Zealand (around 42 degrees south) it is a temperate climate with mild frosts in winter, and almost all rain from the south (which is sheltered by plenty of trees)

Thanks again,
Olmec
Lemme know when its complete and I'll pop on down and inspect it!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plaster, weatherboard