Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

plaster

We have plaster walls , cracks here and thier.I have open the cracks and am using one coat to cover the opening,Thier is a 4ft x 4ft piece that has been replace, How do I smooth out the walll to match exiting

Last edited by ATEAM; 10-31-2007 at 12:39 PM.
ATEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

plaster

I am expert in drywall repairs and I have repaired plaster cracks as you are...with exception .....I always tape cracks. If you do not tape cracke they will come back sooner or later. A plaster guy might not agree with useing drywall mud over plaster, but, it works just fine. Put your mud on the cracks, then tape over the crack, using a six inch knife pull the mud as tight as humanly possible as to pull off all excess mud. Let it dry and apply drywall mud over the tape with a ten inch knife...two swipes wide...you will end up with a twenty inch or so wide mud line. Let this dry and come back with a wider knife for the next coat. You will more than likely have to apply one more coat to smooth out your patching again. It is kinda hard to discribe every step as their are varibles involved but this will put you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to put your mud on thick and then...feather the edges...which is bending the knifes edge... Wish I could show you... it would only take me a few minutes each coat Good Luck

localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote