The Pine Tongue And Groove Has No - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

The pine tongue and groove has no

tongue or groove on the ends. I'm using it for flooring. Do I face nail ends? Or, just leave them alone and use the floor nailer only on the sides? Or, worst case scenario.... is this flooring????? if it has no tongue or groove on the ends. They are long pieces that I intend to cut to sizes I want.

Advertisement

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

and, when face nailing, what nails should be used? It's interior over plywood subflooring.

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

brenda....if it was flooring the ends would be t&g. No worry, Ive seen it used and in most cases it looks ok.

How wide are the boards? It depends how wide your boards are and how flat they are, as to whether you need to nail the ends. I would say anything over 4" should be nailed to keep any bowing in check.

You could have the ends t&g'd, or do it yourself with router and bits.

I suppose biscuits would be an alternative.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

i ran across this problem once, i ended up just cutting the grooves on BOTH ends on my table saw, then ripped out some scrap to glue in tight as a tongue. then i had t&g.... easy and cheap....

DM
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Sounds like you've got T&G siding, not flooring......
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I personally think it will look like crap if you face nail a bunch of boards all over the floor. If you are gonna go that route I would just do them with screw plugs. It will look alot nicer and will probably be quicker than cutting a bunch of tongue and grooves on boards you have to cut to length as well but the T&G would work fine to. The plugs are only really an option if the wood is unfinished too.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #7

the boards are 3 1/4 in and seem to look ok butted together now that I've started laying them. I would think the t/g would hold them together anyway, but if anything i would go with gluing the ends and stay with the nailing of just the t/g. I agree, I don't want a bunch of face nails either. My issue is that I specifically asked the vendor and he knew I was purchasing for flooring. Assured me they were for that so don't know why there is no end t/g. and, if i don't glue or nail, will the ends hold together?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Egotisical Prick

Rewards Points: 10

I'd cut in the T & G myself or else use a biscuit joiner and cut some slots in the ends to hook 'em together.
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe cause your dealer was either un informed or lying to you :}:}
Biscuit cutter will the the easiest and fastest method, if you wanted to do the ends. That said Make sure the joint is NOT lined up with another and this way the ends are supported by the board that is next in the row, this is how using only the long t&g holds everything together. Staggered joints, the only way to do it and very very easy and NO extra work.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
the boards are 3 1/4 in and seem to look ok butted together now that I've started laying them. I would think the t/g would hold them together anyway, but if anything i would go with gluing the ends and stay with the nailing of just the t/g. I agree, I don't want a bunch of face nails either. My issue is that I specifically asked the vendor and he knew I was purchasing for flooring. Assured me they were for that so don't know why there is no end t/g. and, if i don't glue or nail, will the ends hold together?
Whether this product is flooring or not should be stated on the package it came in.
Does it say. "Flooring"? If it doesn't, it's not and it should not be used as flooring unless you like the distressed look.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #11
Egotisical Prick

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of packaging did this item come in? Was it a return? Random lengths? If so, most likely the person before you took what they needed and returned the unused and cut-offs. Sounds like your dealer is trying to 'get one over on you'. Easy way to tell is if they are all shorter pieces (sorry, missed your last sentence).
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #12

packaged 6 boards in plastic wrap with all the packs over 10 feet long. It was sold to me by the linear foot after I asked how much a square foot. "Doesn't come like that." Well, ok, what do I know..... they knew it was for flooring and assured me it that it was ok to use. I have a good enough relationship with them there and know people by name, ya know. I built a deck this summer and they made sure i used the right screws and stuff for that so I trusted them. The ends seem to be ok with the t/g holding them together as i nail in the grooves and add the next board. I do want them to stay looking like they do now. I have 6 rows done right now and haven't moved forward until I'm sure about it....i just don't want the ends buckling, ie. "distressed look"
Old 10-24-2009, 05:59 AM   #13

12penny has seen it used before, i still need help with original question though too. I tried to use that damn floor nailer and sorry but at 120 pounds, I don't have a Paul Bunyan swing to use it. I've been hand nailing and using the nail set so I don't split the wood. Has been working just slow going. The nails are finish nails 2 1/2 in long, am I going to be ok with this part? Again, I appreciate the help! I know, a pneumatic would be better, but thats not happening...........unless I hold off longer even longer. I can do it by hand a little bit at a time after work, weekends....
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

brendaO : you can go to the pot or Lowes and get a pneumatic kit for less than dirt, several guns and compressor. It would pay for itself in the first 8 hours. You can get a 1/2" crown gun with long enuf capacity for under 200 bucks I wood think

Last edited by skymaster; 10-24-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: comment change
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
packaged 6 boards in plastic wrap with all the packs over 10 feet long. It was sold to me by the linear foot after I asked how much a square foot. "Doesn't come like that." Well, ok, what do I know..... they knew it was for flooring and assured me it that it was ok to use. I have a good enough relationship with them there and know people by name, ya know. I built a deck this summer and they made sure i used the right screws and stuff for that so I trusted them. The ends seem to be ok with the t/g holding them together as i nail in the grooves and add the next board. I do want them to stay looking like they do now. I have 6 rows done right now and haven't moved forward until I'm sure about it....i just don't want the ends buckling, ie. "distressed look"
The only pine that is used for flooring is Southern yellow pine. You bought wood that is used for walls or ceilings.
The person who advised you is misinformed.
Around here, lumber yards do not carry flooring.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote