Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Picture Ledge?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ctureledge.jpg

I have asked this question before and got very good feedback THANK YOU! Please DON'T ask why I didn't think about this earlier, but I didn't??? I want to install a picture ledge in my living room. It will be 42" high, 6" (5.5") deep and about 15' long. I was trying to figure out how to frame it with 2x4s and still hav it solid. A light bulb went off this morning (DUH!) I should just frame it out of 2x6s!!! Attached is a picture of what my intentions are, I thought if I naild 2x4 blocking to the existing wall and attached the 2x6 frame using the (red) blocking/nailers it would be more sturdy? Overkill? My thought is this would be a better way to do?
THANK YOU ALL for all of your input, suggestions and help!

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Picture Ledge?

Ok the graphic is NOT the best! I only used paint?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Picture Ledge?

Here is a better graphic " I THINK"

Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Picture Ledge?

How do I move it?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Picture Ledge?

I can answer any questions any has that may not have been understood from my post?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Picture Ledge?

I just looked at your other thread:

What would be the technical name for this wall?

I like the look, but my main hesitation is it would make the room smaller. Do you really want to lose square footage?

Have you considered all the aesthetics? Are there any doors or windows on this wall, or even nearby on the side walls? Outlets, switches etc.? What is the flooring and how will you modify it?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm wondering how many of those studs you really need. You're not going to need 16oc studs to support the top, but if you're going to drywall it I don't know how many would be recommended for the front. You might be able to either skip some, or at least space them farther apart.

FWIW, if I were doing this, I would think about the possibility of making at least some of it shallow storage with either flush doors or removable panels. Why totally waste the space?

Sorry, but I seem to have more questions than answers.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Picture Ledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I just looked at your other thread:

What would be the technical name for this wall?

I like the look, but my main hesitation is it would make the room smaller. Do you really want to lose square footage?

Have you considered all the aesthetics? Are there any doors or windows on this wall, or even nearby on the side walls? Outlets, switches etc.? What is the flooring and how will you modify it?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm wondering how many of those studs you really need. You're not going to need 16oc studs to support the top, but if you're going to drywall it I don't know how many would be recommended for the front. You might be able to either skip some, or at least space them farther apart.

FWIW, if I were doing this, I would think about the possibility of making at least some of it shallow storage with either flush doors or removable panels. Why totally waste the space?

Sorry, but I seem to have more questions than answers.
I don't need all the 2x4 for support but I am going to sheetrock which is why I was putting them in 16 oc. It is only going to be 5 1/2" deep, I had thought about the storage thing, but decided against it. I would only have to move 1 or 2 outlets not a big deal. I guess my REAL question was about the blocking and attaching it to the wall? THANK YOU