Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Share |

Physco Alarm...

So it all started a few months ago. The power went off in the alarm. No power to it at all, checked it with a meter, and nothing. Last month it came on and we were kinda wondering what was up with that, no power, it should turn on, so we thought. It went off a couple days later, I checked it with a meter, no power, this time I went and shut it off at the breaker. I figured we would just get a new one. Last night our neighbor came over and rang the back doorbell, and the alarm went off, instead the doorbell it was the alarm, and it shutoff, it was only on for a fraction of a second, the horns and everything. So I'm not sure what's happening here. Any thoughts on this? O,and on christmas day we were sitting in the liveing room and our dimmer light in the front hall was going on, and dimming out. Thought the old lady was going to have a seizure, .

Thank you very much.
-Adam

P.S. our alarm is a pc 1500? It was installed like 16 years ago, battery was replaced 2 years ago.

McGaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Eibwen

Physco Alarm...

Sounds like you have an AC power supply problem to your alarm panel possibly connected to the doorbell circuit for power.

That needs to get corrected first. Then replace the gel cell batteries again.

The alarm system could be false alarming to tell you its running on batteries and they are getting low.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

Sammy,
How come it would work all these years (16), and now all of a sudden go off when the doorbell rings, with no previous problems, apart from the power. I was wondering if it maybe set off the glass detectors, but I don't know. I still don't see how it's going on and off when there isn't any power, direct, or battery.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #4

Physco Alarm...

the alarm package has a transformer within it and the doorbell has a transformer where are they picking up the 115V and is the alarm panel sensitive to hot/115v black and a good white/neutral into the panel and is the panel itself grounded (with a GREEN back to the house panel) with its electronics.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

Not a clue... I know the alarm is seperate from the doorbell. Different circuits. As for the wires in the alarm, I opened up the panel, and there's a bunch of circuit boards and wires all over the place in there.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #6

Physco Alarm...

Question......when you shut the circuit breaker OFF for the alarm panel...then your neighbor rang the front door bell and the alarm sounded?if that happened the wires for the door bell are crossing the alarm wires someplace up front there when it is rung that voltage 10V is going into the alarm panel and tripping it for that seconds.that no power/power going off the panel sounds like a loose wire or wire nutted hot or neutral someplace all the way back into the house panel.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #7

Physco Alarm...

If you have aluminum wrapping on the door frames, I would remove the door bell switches and check for chaffed wires.

I would also check the routing of the alarm and bell wires. Are they running any place in common?

Last edited by 47_47; 02-14-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

It only happened the once though, at the back door. That's where the alarm panel for the battery is, as well as the pad.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

THe doorbell is on the bricks, so would I just pop it off? Or is there a certain way of doing it?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #10

Physco Alarm...

it 's not the actual push button mounted on the brick it is the wire route(button to bell to transformer) where you migt of picked up something that made the alarm go off.if the bell circuit shorts voltage to the "ground" that is common with the alarm panel ..it might of caused that to signal an alarm.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Eibwen

Physco Alarm...

16 year old technology is WAY old in the alarm business. Could be a failing step down transformer in the alarm panel.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

Thank you everyone. So is there an alarm system, a good one, that I could purchase and install myself, no monitoring fees or that? And a seperate one for in the garage, motion sensers as well as colour cameras with nightvision?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Eibwen

Physco Alarm...

You can install any system without monitoring. The night vison cameras would be a bit much unless you want to include a DVR to record the action.
And then you need proper multiple camera placement to capture something useful.

I would check with a local alarm supplier to help you if you want to do your own system. Panels, contacts, PIR's etc are all part of a system but are not always all from the same mfg. Putting together an effecient system takes product knowledge so that all of the components play well together.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
Handyman/ Snow Removal

Physco Alarm...

Sammy thank you, I took your advice and phoned every alarm company in the phonebook, but they all said that they had to monitor it. We couldn't buy the stuff off of them and install ourselves.