Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Photo Sensor for CFL's?

I am trying to find a screw-in photo sensor (auto off during the day, on all night) that works with CFL bulbs. I have two exterior fixtures I want to use with CFL's - I have CFL bulbs designed for outdoor use and have tried a couple differing brands. Anyone have a specific photo sensor unit that they have had success with?

Ones designed for incandesent bulbs cause them to cause the CFL to flash and have low light output. I have tried these (http://www.amazon.com/Westek-SLC6CFL...pd_cp_hi_1_img) that are specifically designed for CFL's with poor results - they stay on during the day - reviewers report similar and other issues.

Other suggestions welcomed.

thx!

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Photo Sensor for CFL's?

I never looked inside one, but I always thought they were basically just a switch. If it is an electronic switch like a triac, I can see where CFL might not like them. But a CFL only draws 8-20 watts, just leave it on all day. Or use a stabdard bulb.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Photo Sensor for CFL's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I never looked inside one, but I always thought they were basically just a switch. If it is an electronic switch like a triac, I can see where CFL might not like them. But a CFL only draws 8-20 watts, just leave it on all day. Or use a standard bulb.
Standard bulbs are what I am trying to get away from for the energy savings and longevity. Leaving the CFL on full time is an option, but defeats part of the energy saving and longevity goals.

Interestingly, I have two inexpensive and installed several years ago lights on the front of the house that have built-in photo sensors that work just fine with CFL bulbs. Maybe they are just a switch...

I am seeing the screw-in units now annotated for incondesent or CFL bulbs - with bsically the one I have the only for CFL rated I have found at ACE, HD, and Lowes - and a web search.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Photo Sensor for CFL's?

I had the same problem about two years ago when the CFL bulbs started showing up here. I had a very nice decorative lamp post which I wanted in the front at the end of the driveway. I didn't want the harsh, bright lighting of the regular bulbs and figured it would take at least a 100 watt or better. I found a small photo-cell at a local, locally owned, electronics store which would work with the CFL's. I also found a rather large bulbous shaped CFL there which looked better than the smaller bulbs in this fixture. So far, so good. On at dusk without a wink, and off at dawn--or at least when I get up. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote