Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Pet Odors

Just bought a house from the bank through foreclosure. Family had a St Bernard that they kept locked upstairs. Needless to say, I have to replace all the upstairs carpets and pads because of damage and urine smell. I am concerned that I will spend the money to replace the carpet and pad, but the urine may have seeped into the subfloor, and the smell will remain, even with the new carpet and pad. I have thought of sealing the floors with Zinser, but I also heard the suggestion that nothing would work as a sealant, and the only option was to cover the floor with 6 mil poly barrier, glue it down, then put the pad and carpet over that. Now I'm confused. Anyone have any similar experiences, comments, or suggestions? Thanks!!!

nussman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Pet Odors

Yea, the subfloor is contaminated. Even if you seal it with poly or paint it will still smell! This is because you cant seal the bottom! Some pee likely went through the cracks to the underside. You will smell it on humid days. Bright side - Cats are worse. Rip up the carpet and pad, if you can see where the stains are, and if they are not at the seams, then seal with the poly for best results. If the seams are compromised then consider replacing the sub floor. Carpet can be removed and re-installed. If you are on a budget then just seal it and if the smells continue then remove the good carpet, have the subfloor replaced and re-install the carpet.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote