Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

perimeter drain on garage

I have a detached garage, about 24'x26' on a concrete slab. The property is graded sloping downwards from front to back, so the front of the garage is just below grade and the rear above grade. It gets inundated with snow melt water in the spring. This is MN, and we have heavy clay soil, so I get virtually no drainage through the soil. There is currently no provision for drainage in the garage.

I can't get natural positive drainage on the front of the garage. The whole front of the property is higher grade.

I can dig a shallow perimeter drain around the slab and then extend it out the back until it hits daylight. Is this the right thing to do? What about freezing? One imagines in the winter/spring the whole system will be full of ice since it will all be above the frost line. maybe I could put a heat cable in it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

pendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
DIY staff

Can you cut a trench drain in front of the garage door and connect that to a 4" PVC pipe---often if the pipe has enough pitch the drain will clear of water before it freezes.

A heat cable might be the solution if water does freeze in the pipe---but that would be a last resort---wasted electricity --

Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... Is it a Stone driveway,..?? hopefully it's not concrete or asphalt,...

If so, a swale can be cut in front of the garage to pitch the water around, 'n out the back,...
Maybe crowned in the center, 'n pitched to both sides,...

Got any pictures,..??
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Got some pictures?
And people wonder why there's codes.
Anyone that builds a garage around here has to build a stem wall and the floor has to be at least 6" above grade.
My own garage was built like yours long ago.
What a disaster. No pressure treated bottom plate. Water runs down the driveway into the garage.