Perhaps A Timely Insulation Reminder - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,168

Perhaps a timely insulation reminder

I had just walked back up to the house this morning, for a second cup of coffee, when the phone rang. Neighbor has a roof leak. Great; 20 degrees here this morning, with a fresh light coating of snow, so where else would I want to be than on a roof?!?! So, he shows me a wall with a bathroom on each side, and water literally running down both sides. We walk outside, and sure enough, the vent stack is right where the leak is. Well, it looks okay at a distance, so let's look in the attic. Hmmm, no evidence of a flashing leak, but what's this? The insulation was all rolled out nice and straight, but I could shine my light through the gaps around the vent stack into the wall cavity. Pack the insulation around the pipe, and head back down. Put my infrared thermometer on the wall, and as I expected, a 15-20 degree drop in that particular cavity. A cup of coffee and some idle chat later, the differential was decreasing, so his assignment for this afternoon is to pick up a can of red Great Stuff, and head back up to the attic.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,090

Yep. Lots and lots of problems - big and small - "show up" in early winter.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Tell him instead of Great Stuff, use Dap foam in the can. Also while he is at it, tell him to foam around outside wall outlets, and up in the attic around lights, wiring, and vent pipes, and maybe check around windows & doors for air leaks. He will find that it will stop the chimney effect. It took me about two cans to do around our windows and the outlets.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote