Pella ProLine Preventative Measures - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pella ProLine preventative measures

My house I just recently bought has Pella Proline windows between 10 and 15 years old. I know that these windows are prone to rotting out behind the aluminum cladding. I haven't had any problems with rot or even the start of rot yet with these windows and I was wondering if there were some preventative measures to take to prevent the rot issue?

I was thinking of removing the sashes and primering the unfinished wood in the sides of the sash, especially the upper one where if you look you closely you can see exposed wood where it rides in the track. Also I was going to go around and caulk all the seams in the cladding.

How do I remove the sashes so I can weatherproof them?

Also, I removed the screens from the windows for looks reasons. Is it safe to permanently remove the screens from these windows?

Advertisement

zacharyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the frames are prone to rotting painting the sashes will have no effect. It's the trapped moisture in the frame that does the damage.
Screens keep the bugs out, little else. They won't keep a pet or kid from falling out if they lean against it.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the frames are prone to rotting painting the sashes will have no effect. It's the trapped moisture in the frame that does the damage.
Screens keep the bugs out, little else. They won't keep a pet or kid from falling out if they lean against it.
Ron
What I was getting at was if it would be effective to use primer to seal the unfinished wood on the sides of the sash that ride in the track and caulking the cladding seams on the outside of the sash to prevent moisture from entering in the first place?

Last edited by zacharyw; 11-24-2010 at 01:18 PM.
zacharyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharyw View Post
What I was getting at was if it would be effective to use primer to seal the unfinished wood on the sides of the sash that ride in the track and caulking the cladding seams on the outside of the sash to prevent moisture from entering in the first place?
The "first place" was when the windows were new. While it can't hurt to caulk them now a decade has already passed. And if the windows were not flashed properly the good you think you're doing is all in your head. But like I said, it can't hurt to caulk them and the cost is minimal.
This observation is based on another clad(vinyl) window in a house built in 2000. Theses windows are all in various stages of demise due to the lack of proper installation. Not only are the windows "toast", but the OSB sheathing is in varoius stages of rot.
If you can check the installation of your windows do it. Pick the windows facing the weather initially.
Caulking and hoping will do no good.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (11-24-2010)