Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pegboard installation suggestions

Edit:

I have a 4'x8' piece of pegboard and some 5/8"x8' (actual dimensions) furring strips. I want to put it up on the wall of my garage to hang tools that would otherwise sit on the floor leaning against wall like shovels, brooms, etc. For a larger picture, I plan to maybe put a shelf over top of it for things the often sit on the floor, i.e. buckets, grass seed, car wash. I also plan to maybe hang the extension ladder below the peg board just using screw hooks attached directly to studs, but these are other projects.
The main question I have is the section where I want to put it there is an electrical outlet and I was wondering which would be better, cut around the outlet plate and allow enough room for large adapter plugs, or use an extension ring and build the electrical box out so the plate is on the pegboard. For the latter, I believe using an approved extension ring and some furring strips under the pegboard to support it should be code compliant.
Also, I was wonder what some tips would be for making the peg board look nice. I was thinking of painting it white or grey, right now its just a standard brown.

Last edited by wvphysics; 06-14-2010 at 08:45 AM.
wvphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pegboard installation suggestions

Install the furring strips,spacers and the pegboard. Then use whatever box extension depth is needed to get it flush with the pegboard plane.
If you put spacers behind the pegboard, you can use any holes in the board. If you don't use spacers, you can't use and holes in front of the furring strips.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote