Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Payment schedules

For new construction, what percentage should I expect to pay a plumber after ground work? rough-in? finish?

rolson6432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Contractor

Payment schedules

About the same as anyone else. 33% + 33 +33.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #3

Payment schedules

Then there is the 10% hold till everything passes inspection or the plumber flakes. This should be written in the contract for your well being. This doen't mean try to screw your plumber either. If the job is done to your satisfaction pay the man his money.
JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #4

Payment schedules

Thanks for the help. I think the hardest part of a contractor's job wouldn't be the work so much, but dealing with other people: subs who do poor work before you and make your job harder, or customers who try to get extra work for free or nitpick then don't pay or just don't pay. I'll try not to be that guy. Good luck to you.
rolson6432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #5

Payment schedules

For me it depends on the job and size of the job! But, for a new house I usually get 50% down upon acceptence of the contract, 25% after the rough inspection. The final 25% upon the final inspection. The reason I want to have a total of 75% of my money after the rough is because 80-85% of my work is done!, why should I only have 66% of my money? Also, if the homeowner decides to pull a fast one and bring in another plumber for the finish I would'nt take such a big hit or if they take a year to get ready for finish or run out of money ete,etc...

Plus the old 33%,33% and 33% was written by some old fashion lawyer and if you notice everybody loses 1% , now that is not a typical lawyer move is it?!

Last edited by plumguy; 08-16-2005 at 09:30 PM.
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote